Cheap magnetic switch

If anyone wants a cheap magnetic switch for their helmet elec's get hold of a cheap WIRED cycle computer, you will need the sensor and the magnet that attaches to the wheel ... hey presto cheap switch.

I have one here ive been testing as a PTT switch for my voice amp and it seems to work ok just have to get the magnet on target, but maybe another strong magnet could work and be less bulky too. B)

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent idea. I guess you could mount the sensor on a velcro strap (attach to the bottom of your middle finger) and stick a thin round magnet inside the end of your thumb (in your gloves that is).

Mmmm. Got me thinking has this. The sensors are usually quite large though. I have one here and it's pretty bulky.

Check out my response to a---------------

On 10/21/2010 at 7:33 PM, gh05ty said:

If anyone wants a cheap magnetic switch for their helmet elec's get hold of a cheap WIRED cycle computer, you will need the sensor and the magnet that attaches to the wheel ... hey presto cheap switch.

I have one here ive been testing as a PTT switch for my voice amp and it seems to work ok just have to get the magnet on target, but maybe another strong magnet could work and be less bulky too. B)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

Yea i was thinking of it as a PTT solution for those who like to hold blasters, like you said fix the sensor to the finger/hand and my thought was to attach a magnet to the blaster grip/trigger itself.

I have cut a sensor up and they are quite small when ermm adjusted lol :rolleyes:

Edited by gh05ty

The things inside them are called Reed Switches :)

They throw when they go near a magnet

Maybe even cheaper to buy one of them from Radioshack/Maplin than hack up a cycle computer?

Something like this :)

-------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

Hi Rob,

Many thanks for the compliment and yes, it's good to bring fellow troopers' ideas to fruition. Hopefully it will be taken up because it's simple, elegant and really easy to use.

Get in touch when you move down and we can hook up – my location is near Launceston on the Devon side. I'm always happy to help with whatever I can.

Cheers,

Rees.

Thats very cool Rees, im glad one of my simple ideas has inspired someone to take it a Big step forwards :D

Just noticed your location... im moving down there very soon hopefully B)