HOW TO: make gloss white epoxy

dashrazor

i was in my garage putting my spray paints away for the winter, i noticed a nearly full can of rustolium appliance epoxy paint sitting next to a bottle of epoxy resin, and it got me thinking, could i mix epoxy paint with regular epoxy resin to make a glossy white filler/bonder ? well i figured i would give it a try :) i used 1 part paint to about 2 parts resin, mixed it several times then added the hardener

this is the epoxy and paint i tested this with

51ABxB8vp1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

this was the end result after drying, a highly glossy white epoxy. the shots are taken on white porcelain to show the similar sheen and color

Aks6GaH.jpg

2olEhOB.jpg

note: i haven't done any tests on armor with this stuff yet ;) but im sure somebody could find a use for this stuff

FYI

You can mix Tamiya acrylic paint to 5 or 30 min Epoxy and it will dry to a very hard gloss finish...IE I used this combo on my buttons on my trooper armor for a great scratch free finish.

TMC

FYI

You can mix Tamiya acrylic paint to 5 or 30 min Epoxy and it will dry to a very hard gloss finish...IE I used this combo on my buttons on my trooper armor for a great scratch free finish.

TMC

i never read it anywhere here, is there already a HOW to on this? it was more of a accidental experiment thing ;) good idea for the buttons though. if i were to use it on armor i would use a 5 min myself but i had a lot of that slow drying stuff left over to mess around with :P

Good idea! How did you mix and apply it?

Mix the epoxy per instructions then add the paint till you get the proper color...about 10 to 1 epoxy to paint. I used a paint brush to apply it to the buttons...it seems to smooth out after you brush it on.

TMC

Edited by tmcp51d

i first spayed the paint in a baby food container (holding the can up side down) then added the resin only, i mixed it several times . then added the hardener, it should be easy to apply with a small flat stick or small putty knife, but i haven't tested it out on armor yet. :)

it may work , but think of it like mixing apples and oranges, if you mix another chemical (like acrylic) to the epoxy it can affect its bonding power and how it cures, but in theory mixing an epoxy paint with epoxy resin should be slightly better because it is very similar chemically (comprised primarily of a resin and hardener) and should produce a better curing resin in the end. but testing is the only surefire way to know for sure

Edited by dashrazor