another sterling buildup

I did this a long time ago, but hadn't been posting here.

The base Sterling is an interesting beast. It's been circulating in my garrison for years... longer than I've been a member even. People kept getting it, saying that they were going to finish it up, putting it in storage, then selling it.

Thankfully I broke the cycle!

A funny story from the pickup. Shipping something like this is fraught with peril. Despite being properly deactivated (the entire receiver tube is solid steel!), it's still an awkward thing to pass around. To look at it, you would never know it was a non-firing weapon. I went to meet up with the current owner to get it. He was at his son's birthday party, and asked that I meet him at the bowling alley to get it. I pull up and call him. He comes out, and I expect to get a box. No, I got a machine gun, full clip in place, handed to me in the parking lot.

EEP!

So I toss it back in his car and ask for a bag or something. He has a CVS pharmacy shopping bag. Take what I can get I suppose! Put it in the bag and now instead of carrying a machine gun, I'm carrying a machine gun in a shopping bag.

Thankfully we got home without incident! I was dreading a speeding ticket or something the whole ride.

3128262001_35be1ec3fa.jpg

Next came a period of hunting on the RPF and eBay for parts.

I ended up with 2 Hengstlers. I accidentally cracked the clear screen in the first one.

3129094458_a6dc4db94c.jpg

Thankfully the person I bought it from had another.

I found the scope on eBay for a very reasonable price, which surprised me. I really wanted the M19, but none came up.

3129089814_aa400ae02d.jpg

And fashioned the scope rail out of some steel bar stock.

3129092726_1a386a4c04.jpg

I picked up T track from Saberfreak on the RPF.

3128264635_6e286078d3.jpg

The cylinders are from Sci-Fire.

3128263281_596d191b7a.jpg

And finally, all together:

3129091116_aa53f77765.jpg

I did decide to paint it. I didn't do any sanding / stripping of the base parts, but I wanted it to look "straight off the assembly line", so I coated it all with a satin finish black.

Shown here next to my Hyperfirm:

3129094546_5c3118ec3b.jpg

my holster for sterlings would look good on that!

thanks for taking my advice and getting a heavy duty holster!

you ship tomorrow!

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

• 4 weeks later...