Newbie Questions

Hello!

I was just wondering what would be the best TK armor for a very slender guy (My waist line is 28) who is about 5' 10".

I heard armor based off the ANH armor would be best. is this true?

Also, Around how much would the basic armor and bucket cost? I saw an untrimmed kit go for $260 on Ebay w/ the bucket.

I have a VERY tight budget (I'm 18 and I'm currently looking for work) and this is a very big factor on whether I become a member at this point in time.

Thanks!

-Davis

Davis,

Most of the pinned topics in this section will give you what you need to know.  Getting Started

For a very tight budget, I'd recommend just keep reading and researching. It can be done if you're smart with your finances and scratch build some of your accessories. If you're fully committed to this, you can periodically buy the inexpensive stuff like gloves, boots, undersuit, and wait on the big armor purchase until you saved up. I didn't get into this hobby until years after college when I had some spending money.

You can contact armor makers for info and prices. Depends on which one you choose but you'll spend at minimum a few hundred on the armor. A TE derived/ANH derived armor works best for smaller individuals, but any can be modified to work. Choosing which option can be incredibly difficult; was for me. I'm a skinny dude too. Say no to ebay and rubies.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Hey Davis,

About any TE derived kit will work for your body frame.

The two big things about the armor kit that you have seen on Ebay (seller MAKEROFTHINGS), is a recast (which is not permitted). The other thing is, his armor and helmet is Vacuumformed out of 0.060 material, and will not stand up to trooping... Most good armor kits are made out of 0.80 to 0.090 material.

I know that you say that your budget is "VERY tight" I have been there in your same shoes and can sympathize with that. But if you spend $260 on a suit that is not going to be what you need, then you wallet is really going to be hurting.

Contact some of the armor makers and see what their prices are, most of them don't ask for the payment until the armor is ready. Some do have layaway/payment plans. They may even have some B stock that they can give you a deal on.

And like Tim said in his post " Say no to ebay and rubies."