Need sound help... mabye a chest speaker instead?

Okay, I have the following installed in my helmet for sound:

Hyperdyne Pro Voice Amp

http://www.hyperdynelabs.com/products_elec_troopVoicePro.php

This connects to... a pre amp? I dont know what it is. It came with my first bucket. It has a big volume nob. I know that.

Which then connects to a set of Stompers Hovis

There is also another switch in there that I believe goes to the mic.

I havent figured out how to make my voice sound "trooper-ish" (or I have and it just doent really work)

I have it set so I use PTT and have the static burst. I found this works best since I couldnt figure out how to adjust it properly otherwise.

(I also dont like that is has a laser fire sound when you tap the button real quick instead of holding it down, because sometimes I accidentally hit it when trying to talk)

What I'd like is for it to be louder.

Suggestions?

Maybe I just dont have it wired up right.

Or maybe I need to mount a chest speaker or something? I dont know what to do as I am not electronically inclined. Someone else installed this for me and they were only slightly more knowledgeable that I about it.

Where is a good (inexpensive) place to get a chest speaker?

I could really use some help though.

You seek Jim from the Star Garrison. He sells the AKER amp, it is small and fits behind the chestplate nicely. It is very loud and Jim has excellent service. I had mic tip speakers at one time, but like you, i found them to be too low. So i now use this and love it.

You can check it out and order from him here:

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

Or you could go the 1st class route and buy 1 of these:

------------

300+ members of the UK garrison and ALL of them wearing armour use it.

That must say something. B)

Edited by gmrhodes13

I can hook you up with the aker voice amps. The link is the the second posting. Thank you Vorhess for the referral.

I will also help with the Hyperdyne. I have that model and i have made many adjustments. If and when you get your aker amp, we can phone conference and I will walk you through the set-up and the adjustments on the Hyperdyne card itself and the overall system. My Hyperdyne/aker system works really well.

I also have RomFX card that I use with one of my Aker amps. The RomFX is easier to set-up and operate but does not have a PTT option. However, you can get a PTT cable from me that will work with the RomFX and with the romFX static burst. I have many customers that have added an aker amp to their RomFX. If you want to dump the Hyperdyne and get a RomFX let me know. I have squad mate that wants a hyperdyne for the Bobba Fett voice. He would likely buy yours anmd then you could put that money toward a RomFX. I was thinking about selling him my Hyperdyne and buying another RomFX.

Drop me a line and we work something out to get you up to fully operational status! :D

Jim, TK6294, Familyjim72@yahoo.com

On 7/24/2010 at 3:24 AM, Darth Voorhees said:

You seek Jim from the Star Garrison. He sells the AKER amp, it is small and fits behind the chestplate nicely. It is very loud and Jim has excellent service. I had mic tip speakers at one time, but like you, i found them to be too low. So i now use this and love it.

You can check it out and order from him here:

--------

Thanks, looks like he responded below too!

On 7/24/2010 at 3:52 AM, carbonitekid said:

Or you could go the 1st class route and buy 1 of these:

----------

300+ members of the UK garrison and ALL of them wearing armour use it.

That must say something. B)

You are just trying to get me beaten by my wife. lol.

ie. I cant afford that. But thanks man.

On 7/24/2010 at 4:33 AM, TK6294 said:

I can hook you up with the aker voice amps. The link is the the second posting. Thank you Vorhess for the referral.

I will also help with the Hyperdyne. I have that model and i have made many adjustments. If and when you get your aker amp, we can phone conference and I will walk you through the set-up and the adjustments on the Hyperdyne card itself and the overall system. My Hyperdyne/aker system works really well.

I also have RomFX card that I use with one of my Aker amps. The RomFX is easier to set-up and operate but does not have a PTT option. However, you can get a PTT cable from me that will work with the RomFX and with the romFX static burst. I have many customers that have added an aker amp to their RomFX. If you want to dump the Hyperdyne and get a RomFX let me know. I have squad mate that wants a hyperdyne for the Bobba Fett voice. He would likely buy yours anmd then you could put that money toward a RomFX. I was thinking about selling him my Hyperdyne and buying another RomFX.

Drop me a line and we work something out to get you up to fully operational status! :D

Jim, TK6294, Familyjim72@yahoo.com

Hey Jim,

I just sent you an email!

Not sure what I can afford to do exactly, but let's see if we can come up with some options.

- Hawk

Edited by gmrhodes13

Hey Jim, how do you get the aker to work with rom/fx? I am assuming it replaces the speaker that comes with the rom/fx kit, but to my knowledge isn't the rom'fx speaker unpowered? By adding the aker do you just get more volume out of the speaker? Also, does this change the voltage needed going into the rom/fx itself?

One last question, does the mic that comes with the aker work well with the rom/fx? As it stands now, I really don't want to glue an omnidirectional mic into my dome, I would like my dome as clean as possible.

I know those are a bunch of random questions, but I have yet to purchase either, and I was thinking of maybe starting with your kit, then sticking the basic rom/fx kit in the mix to get me a static burst.

Edited by snoberg

Hey Jim, how do you get the aker to work with rom/fx? I am assuming it replaces the speaker that comes with the rom/fx kit, but to my knowledge isn't the rom'fx speaker unpowered? By adding the aker do you just get more volume out of the speaker? Also, does this change the voltage needed going into the rom/fx itself?

One last question, does the mic that comes with the aker work well with the rom/fx? As it stands now, I really don't want to glue an omnidirectional mic into my dome, I would like my come as clean as possible.

I know those are a bunch of random questions, but I have yet to purchase either, and I was thinking of maybe starting with your kit, then sticking the basic rom/fx kit in the mix to get me a static burst.

For the RomFX card the aker voice amps do replace the unpowered speaker that comes with the romfx. The romfx card does amply the signal so you have double amplification when adding the aker voice amp. On my romfx, I preset the romfx card to about 20% volume. I then use the aker voice amp to control volume which is much easier to access with the volume wheel. I only need to set my aker voice amp to about 50% volume. Set higher and it is so loud it is obnoxious. 

As far as I know the RomFX has a voltage operating range. So as long as you are within that range you are good. I power mine with three lithium ion rechargeables (3.7volts each). I have them in a battery box with a on/off switch for safety. The switch also makes it easier to turn it on or off. I also put my romfx in a enclosure box. That thing is too expensive to risk damaging. 

The aker wired mic work really with any system including the romfx. The aker mic is highly directional. It is very important that the white line on the mic tip faces your mouth. That will maximize volume and voice pick up and minimize the feedback. I use my aker mic with the memorex wireless headset kit because it works better then the memorex mic that comes with the kit.