Symmetry question

Hello everyone, this is my first post! I have been studying quite a bit and just got a box'o'AP armor in the mail today! Woo hoo! The first thing I noticed is that the shell pieces, the biceps in particular, are both made for one side. Is this normal, and if so what is the best way to go about assembling these? I am sure I will have more questions later, but thanks in advance for any insight!

yes the entire suit is wonky by design, check this thread out

-----------

it will help identify the left and right parts of the arms ;)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Yes, that's normal for the AP armor.

The AP arms are the same for both sides. I think they took the TE / ROTJ tour suit style mold, and used the right arm on both sides. I think the notches on both biceps indicate this.

The AP thighs halves are also misaligned. You either need to trim the top or bottom and potentially do some heating if you want them to match up.

The inner left shin is also the same piece as the outer right shin.

WHAT?!

No way! That's completely wrong! You'd better pack it up and send it to me straight away! I'll wear it for a year and make sure it works then we can talk about sending it back.

Oh... other people already replied with the real answer... darn...

:D

BTW: Stukatrooper has one of the best AP builds here

There's lots of AP build threads in this forum as well---------

Hope that helps!

Edited by gmrhodes13

On 7/2/2010 at 9:23 AM, pandatrooper said:

BTW: Stukatrooper has one of the best AP builds here

There's lots of AP build threads in this forum as well

--------------

Hope that helps!

I notice that some builds have the two halves of the shell overlap each other, and others join them together with a strip on the outside, which is more legit, and which is most common? Considering I am kind of a skinny guy I was going to go with overlapping, thoughts?

Edited by gmrhodes13

I understand the stuff is not supposed to be skin tight, however I literally swim in the arms and legs using shims. Would using the overlap method hurt my chances of acceptance? I think it would be the only thing that would be out of the norm on the suit.

I understand the stuff is not supposed to be skin tight, however I literally swim in the arms and legs using shims. Would using the overlap method hurt my chances of acceptance? I think it would be the only thing that would be out of the norm on the suit.

Once you're in the suit with shims can anyone tell how skinny you are? I doubt they can. The armor will "fill you out"... as it should be. If you overlap and try to make it fit I would worry that you'd look like a "small" trooper... not short, just "small." The ARMOR would look skinny in other words.

??

using shims or overlap the sizing should be very similar. You can actually make the parts smaller by using shims. Have you looked at the other build threads yet?

Yeah I have been doing a bit of research on it, I'm not really worried about myself looking skinny, I just don't want the armor clanking around on me unless I use a ton of foam or something, which I guess is an alternative, and like you said the two do look really similar, which is why I am wondering if overlapping is a TK deal breaker or not.

I will say I am impressed at how helpful everyone has been to me so far! I am having a lot of fun building my AP suit.