Thigh-to-Knee Reshape on FX

The holes at my knee (on my thigh armor) is oblong width wise, not along my axis of forward motion. It pinches my knee caps on both legs and I have wideness at the bottom of the thigh armor. Can I take a heat gun to reshape that hole to be more circular, at the least? Would heating cause the ABS to warp/distort?

I am interested in your replies and feedback.

John

John:

If I understand you correctly, you are trying to re-shape the opening (where your leg goes through) at the bottom of your thigh armor. I had this same problem with my second set of armor and here's what I did to re-shape it:

I fastened the thigh armor in the closed position (I used velcro at the back of my thigh armor to keep it closed). Un-heated the opening is oblong and not round. I heated one side of the armor (lengthwise from kneecap to groin and I don't remember if it was the inside or outside) with a paint stripper gun moving the heat gun contstantly with the heat gun about 3-5" away from the armor to distribute the heat over a large area. It took at least 3 minutes for the plastic to soften to the point where the leg wanted to re-shape (must be very careful here to only heat enough for it to give with the natural pull of the armor when closed) to a more natural round opening. When it softened, I had a clean towel layed out on the workbench so I could roll the thigh armor on it to even out the bend since it bent only where I heated it (you must try to heat as large an area as possible (there are probably other ways such as an oven or a propane torch (yikes!!) but I've never tried that).

Sorry this is so long and I only did this ONE TIME so there are probably other methods available and experts, but this is my experience. The end result was a much more comfortable and shapely thigh (for armor).

Good luck and let us know becuase I know there are others out there with the same problem.

Exactly! That is what I am talking about!

I was thinking of a heat gun too. Funny, I just saw one last weekend at Lowes for $27.50. Why was I looking at it and checking the price AND why I did not get it... I do not know.

So, the armor starts to pull to a more correct shape by merely being pulled by the velcro in the back?

My front seams are CA glued.

I will have it done by Wednesday... perhaps I should take pics before and after... hope I do not melt it!

Thanks Don!

John

John:

If I understand you correctly, you are trying to re-shape the opening (where your leg goes through) at the bottom of your thigh armor. I had this same problem with my second set of armor and here's what I did to re-shape it:

I fastened the thigh armor in the closed position (I used velcro at the back of my thigh armor to keep it closed). Un-heated the opening is oblong and not round. I heated one side of the armor (lengthwise from kneecap to groin and I don't remember if it was the inside or outside) with a paint stripper gun moving the heat gun contstantly with the heat gun about 3-5" away from the armor to distribute the heat over a large area. It took at least 3 minutes for the plastic to soften to the point where the leg wanted to re-shape (must be very careful here to only heat enough for it to give with the natural pull of the armor when closed) to a more natural round opening. When it softened, I had a clean towel layed out on the workbench so I could roll the thigh armor on it to even out the bend since it bent only where I heated it (you must try to heat as large an area as possible (there are probably other ways such as an oven or a propane torch (yikes!!) but I've never tried that).

Sorry this is so long and I only did this ONE TIME so there are probably other methods available and experts, but this is my experience. The end result was a much more comfortable and shapely thigh (for armor).

Good luck and let us know becuase I know there are others out there with the same problem.

So, the armor starts to pull to a more correct shape by merely being pulled by the velcro in the back?

Whatever your attachment is in the back it doesn't matter. What matters is having the armor in the closed or assembled confirguration will help it shape itself when it is heated. Think about it, if the armor does not naturally want to be almost closed when at rest, it needs to be re-shaped (through heat) to be the desired shape. If I recall, I heated the inside of the thigh because my thinking was if I screw up, it won't be as noticeable.

Good luck.

OK, I did it. I will post pics of the suit - on my mannequin - soon. And pics of my troop after Saturday. But I wanted to show you what I have. AND yes, I know the thighs are too low on the legs... I needed only 2, or 4 at most, pieces of fabric side velcro to secure my thigh straps to the abdomen. I have a linked system from suspenders to the torso, then the torso th the thigh, with a supplemental garter. I have in each piece of armor a strip of fabric IndStrgth velcro inside the front of the thighs that spans the entire height of the thighs.

See if you notice something, and look at the thigh picture for 10 seconds...

Hmm. :huh: Oh well.

May have to adjust the positioning of the knee ammo boxes upward by an inch.

Thanks for the tips guys. The shape is way better.

John