AP shin and thigh shortening question

Hi all,

I'm planning ahead a bit here, but I've been reading through all the threads I can find on AP build tutorials etc in preparation. My kit is all here and I'm planning where to start...

I have noticed though that the shins and or thighs will need to be shortened to match the length of my legs a bit. On the shins for instance, do people typically trim the excess off the bottom once they're glued? I'm 5'7'' so not a whole lot will have to go. Just wondering how to plan to tackle this when I get there so I don't accidentally make bad cuts to begin with.

Thanks for the help!

Hi all,

I'm planning ahead a bit here, but I've been reading through all the threads I can find on AP build tutorials etc in preparation. My kit is all here and I'm planning where to start...

I have noticed though that the shins and or thighs will need to be shortened to match the length of my legs a bit. On the shins for instance, do people typically trim the excess off the bottom once they're glued? I'm 5'7'' so not a whole lot will have to go. Just wondering how to plan to tackle this when I get there so I don't accidentally make bad cuts to begin with.

Thanks for the help!

I'm about 5'7" and my AP armor fits with out modifications.

Glue the parts together first and see how they fit. If you need to trim them, cut the backs of the knees first by removing the edge/trim on the bottom of the thigh and top of the shins. This mod will help a lot without chopping down the actual length of the legs. If it is still a problem, trim a bit from the bottom of the shin at the ankle area, following the same lines as the original shape only shorter. As a last resort, trim the tops of the thghs but that really shouldn't be neccesary.

Thanks for the advice. If I need to trim I'll start there once the glueing is all done. I'll see how it goes. It only appeared like it might be necessary after eyeballing the suit. Maybe it'll all work out okay. I thought the tops of the shins might knock too much into the bottoms of the thighs- Hopefully I'll be alright though.

Thanks again!

I don't think you need to take off anything. I'm 5'4" and haven't done anything to the length of my armour. The thighs have return edges in both ends, so I wouldn't take anything off them. If you need to shorten the shins, I wouls take off a little bit on the bottom, but only if your legs are slim enough for you to pull the shin down. My girly legs fill the shape of the armour, so I have no use of cutting at the bottom because I can't move the shins down anyway, hehe.