Coil ANH Stunt build (FX). Help and comments appreciated

Hi,

I have acquired a set of FX armor from a local guy that I aim to fix up to 501st standards. The end goal is to go for at least EIB so I will build for that standard.

I know already that my helmet cannot get further than basic and I will get another one at some point. I would want to order another one right away but since I am fairly big headed I want to actually try one on before I order. So I will have to get in touch with someone local for that I guess. But the rest of it is my goal to fix up for EIB.

This How To seems like a good starting point for me.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/12478-howto-easily-make-your-fx-armor-eib-acceptable/

I have also browsed around a bit in the EIB threads to see how other FX armors look.

Here are most of the pieces spread out.

13B2887F-0A7E-4BB0-BEB7-8D5FC5802D71.jpg

I have been quite busy getting extra parts neccessary (got some starting input from the Nordic Garrison forum). I have Darman's neck seal, Vader Dave's buttons and garter and Sonneschein's gloves on the way. I got some new fresh decals and a canvas belt from Trooperbay. The thermal detonator was missing so I had to order that one as well from Troopermaster.

My first order of business when it comes to the armor pieces was to start stripping away the velcro that the previous owner had used to keep things together.

So here comes the first question.

The FX armor pieces seem to be made to put together overlapping. However I need to do butt join and cover strip.

As you can see in this picture of the thigh (taped together for fitting). If I just butt join them as they are the cover strip would have to be quite wide, around 40 mm. So what is the best way to do this? Do I just cut away say 10 mm from each side and the do the butt join and cover strip?

593CFD05-F701-451F-97A7-B143FFC9F911.jpg

On the back of the thigh the piece looks slightly different where only one side has the raised area.

1F7B53B1-C07B-4CD9-9965-4B258645232A.jpg

What would be the best way to do it here? Cut on one or both sides before joining and putting on the cover strip?

The same thing is true on the bicep and forearm as well when one piece is supposed to overlap.

CD58751B-F7C6-4403-A653-5D9229475E24.jpg

I would really appreciate any input from experienced builders on the best looking way to do the cover strip for these.

Edited by Coil

Over at the UK Garrison they have an ongoing FX build thread on how to make it look decent; http://www.ukgarrison.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=126&t=49918

I strongly recommend upgrading the helmet ASAP.

Thanks, Mathias. That was a helpful thread. The pics are going to be very helpful when it comes to place the cover strips. Although right now I am struggling with cleaning away the adhesive from where the previous owner had velcroed everything. Gonna take some time. :)

So when it comes to cutting the butt plate, is this red line where I should do the cut? (Also pictured is my rabbit assistant)

c1bb378b173f5f181ad2f88a9c911a0a.jpg

Looking at pics it seems the kidney and ab plate should be aligned and the cut would then be a bit below the belt which is what Daetrin writes in his how to.

If you want a great tip to remove the adhesive, try lighter fluid.

As for your butt plate, install your belt correctly and then make your cut under your belt.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Isopropanol alcohol should dissolve the velcro glue, you can find a large bottle at Kjell&co, or try chemically pure bensin, which you can find among the cleaning products in your grocery store.

Isopropanol is okayish. Chemically pure bensin (teknisk bensin) worked wonderfully. I found that just putting some on a rag and try to scrub was not the way to go. Really pouring it on so it covers the glue spot and then it wipes of easily.

Now I can finally start gluing pieces together. Going to start with the biceps since I am the most sure what size I want there.