Helmet Advice - size questions

So last night was my first troop (Yay!) at the Star Wars in Concert shows in Boston, but ater wearing my MRCE a few times I am starting to think about my other bucket options. Not because of accuracy per say, but rather fit.

I'm pretty unlucky when it comes to helmets. I have a 25.5" diameter head (hat size 8 1/2), and a short neck. As a result, my face is practically pushed up against the inside of my MRCE, even with minimal padding. As a result I think the lack of room makes me more prone to fogging as well.

But also at the same time not only is my MRCE too small, but too big/tall for my neck. Last night I jealously watched some of my fellow, but long necked, TK's who could turn there heads every which way but loose. Where as I, with my short neck, can turn my head a few inches in any direction if I am lucky.

So, what options do I have? I feel like if I got a bigger helmet (which any helmet is bigger than the CE, other than AP, right?) it would fit my head better, but I would be able to move my head even less :\

Would getting an AP mean I could move my head more? Would getting a ATA or TE2 mean I would fog less?

I've also heard of people cutting away at the bottom of the front of the helmet, where for most it bumps into the chest. Can that be done without ruing the look of the helmet?

The bigger the helmet, the more it would interfere with turning your head because it would be larger in all proportions. When the chin of the helmet bumps against the chest armor or shoulder straps, I call it "chin banging". :)

One thing I discovered was that you need to be able to see, and turn your head (sounds obvious). That means even though you think you might want your eyes centered in the lenses and eye openings, the bottom / chin area might bump into your chest. one thing you can do is raise the helmet up with some padding up top, so that you look through the lowest part of the lenses, not the middle or top.

I noticed that on stunt helmets, especially if people want the "high brow" look without cutting too much of the brow, the face ends up slightly longer because it's rotated downwards from the cap / back. If you push this up hero style, this will reduce the height of the face region by a good inch, depending on the look you want.

One thing I did when I built my hero lid, was I tucked in the "face" portion more under the brow. This resulted in the overall height of the lid being slightly shorter, and smaller overall. Being only 5 foot 8 inches, and not having a long neck, i need as much help as I can get. So tucked in the face, and when wearing the helmet I try to have the helmet sit slightly higher so that I'm looking through the lowest part of the lenses. This reduces vision slightly, but works better for movement.

So I would say stick with the smaller helmets rather than going larger, and use fans to help reduce fogging, consider leaving a gap between the eye openings and the lenses to allow some air to circulate, and consider going Hero style if you want to reduce "chin banging". Good luck!

Right here in my EIB thread

-----

on the screen used Luke hero helmet, the face was tucked under even more. Check out the last few helmets on this page on Starwars helmets.com

-------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021