TIP : ABS Cutting Tip

I recently stumbled upon a handy tip that could be valuable for TK builders everywhere.

Recently I had to cut up a fibreglass mannequin and reassemble her in order to reduce her height by about 20cm. I took a band around the legs and a band around the waist and put her back together with a bit of wood framing inside and a whole lot of bondo.

But what I learnt was this - I couldn't use a hack saw to cut the legs up because of the width of the legs and the fiddly nooks in the inner thigh region. Also the smooth surface of the fibreglass made getting enough tooth for a smooth cut tricky.

I discovered if you put a very small engraving point on a dremel, then score the cut line as you would if you were drawing it with a pen, one more go over the same score with the engraving bit and it will push right through the fibre glass and cut a perfect neat line like it was going through butter.

Cutting it this way was as easy as drawing.

I haven't yet tried it on the proverbial white plastic but given how much thicker the fibreglass was than ABS armour I'd wager this would be a very quick, smooth and easily controlled method for perfectionist trimming of armour. Much easier to use than a hot blade and doesn't require "snapping" like using a box cutter.

Just thought it was worth sharing! :)

Lucas

• 4 months later...

score it with a box cutter, then snap it with a pair of pliers.

sometimes you have to cut twice with the box cutter..

then it snaps like a perfect cut line.

sometimes you have to start the snap by cutting a small start cut.

but then it just folds back and forth a few times with the pliers

and even the curved parts just snap off.

sand round with come 60 grit and you're done.

no dremel.

just a box cutter a pair of pliers and some 60 grit.

done.