Fixing lenses in place

Hi folks,

I was curious as to how other troopers fix their lenses in place?

I am currently trying out some different configurations and wondered how best to fix them in place. I am trying out having 2 seperate flat lenses and also trying one long lense (n.b. my bucket is a FX)

Photos of your lense setup would be appreciated if possible,

Cheers :)

Hot glue is probably the best and most common way out there of fixing them in.

A dab on both ends, then top and bottom is usually enough to hold them in place. Others seal the lenses in all the way round.

HTH.

I actually did not end up using hotglue on my lenses. I tried that first but did not like the results. Instead I found some small pieces of very sturdy packing foam material and cut pieces out to fit around where each lense goes. I then used superglue to glue them around the sockets, and then superglued the lenses to the foam. That way I have a more flush fit. I've trooped with this configuration for a while now (since last May) with no troubles.

I just fixed my lenses this weekend. I´ve never been happy with just having them stuck in there with gaffer´s tape, and wanted a solution where I could change the lenses if and when they became all scratched up. What I did, was to buy a pack of black Fimo modeling clay:

----------

This stuff is soft like Play-Doh, but turns rock hard after half an hour in the oven at a 110 centigrades. I made six barrel shapes, fitted three around each eye, baked them in the oven and then, after they chilled, glued them in there with E6000. After the glue had cured, I drilled a hole in each of the fixtures:

----------

...To fit the smallest screws I could find at the local hardware store. I also bought some of those rubber thingys people put under the chair legs to keep them from chafing their hard wood floors. This keeps the screw head from scratching the lens, and also gives the screw a bit more surface to hold the lens:

After that, I drilled small holes in the lenses, and, using the screws with the rubber thingy on, fastened the lenses to the fixtures. This is the end result:

I later trimmed the lenses a bit, and sanded the edges nice and smooth. A pretty quick and easy mod, and cheap, too.

...Next on my list is getting rid of that horrible gaffer´s tape around the frown. Ugh.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

TK6237 - Your solution looks lovely!!

Did you use anything to bond the FIMO to the bucket, or are the "barrels" held in place by FIMO's naturally "tackiness"?

I done have FIMO on hand, but i do have some two part putty that air drys rock solid in a few hours (can even cure underwater!!) so I may give it a whirl!

p.s. thank you to everyone else who made suggestions, I took notes don't worry :)

EDIT - Sorry my bad, didn't see the bit where you said you used e6000 to hold them in place! Really need to get me some of that glue, and get my eyes tested at the same time!

Thanks Pablo! No, I glued them in place with E6000.

It would probably work with other types of clay or putty as well, but the good thing about Fimo is 1. You an get it in all kinds of different colors (I bought the black variant, to match the painted inside of my helmet), and 2. It doesn´t change shape after baking it in the oven. Also, it gets really hard after heating it, but not so hard that it´ll crack when you drill into it or put a screw through it.