Getting a nice gloss finish on my bucket

mgraeme

I am having some trouble getting a nice gleam to my AP bucket.

This is what I have done . . .

1. 2 coats of Plastic primer. I used an auto spray that was safe for ABS plastics. Note that I did not sand the bucket at all prior to applying the primer.

2. Frown, chin and ear pieces painted - no problem there

3. 2 coats of gloss purchased from a hobby store.

I have a few problems . . .

1. I see fine fibres in the paint work - as if it collected dust and material particles along the way even though I tried to keep the bucket clean. They are not visible from far away but to the afficionado, they can be recognised.

2. I am not getting a great glossy finish.

3. The finish is not as smooth and highly buffed as I hoped it would be.

Can anyone help with some advice ?

Graeme , we need to get together for an armour day . Generic hobby paint probably isn't going to cut it . Your local Bunnings now stock Rustoleum , but you'll have to ask for it . The warnings on it don't comply with Australian standards , so they don't keep it on the shelves ;) I've been using it recently , and it works a treat . I've got some primer from work that sticks to plastic really well . Grab some rustoleum and I'll come over and we can spray away :)

Just out of interest: Why did you paint the AP bucket at all? They're made from high glossy ABS, are they not?

Well, I had been debating whether it needed it or not and then I was advised I should do it to make the helmet match my armour better.

However, after taking some advice here and on the Australian garrison boards, I have now stripped it down completely and using Novus polish and elbow grease, I have brought up a reasonably good sheen. So, the crisis is averted and I'm now ou naturale. :)

I'm willing to bet he bought it TD, and is bringing "sexy" back :P excuse the pun..

:D Well, I bought it in kit form and like the white armour look so thats why I wanted to go all glossy .. but the way I troop, I tend to become what I call a "natural TD" over time.

Anyway, thanks for the advice guys, you stopped me from making a grave mistake.