Coverstrip width questions

I am helping a friend build his ANH TK kit (MTK from Trooperbay), and we've run into an issue I was wanting some advice how best to address. Unlike some of the other kits like RS Propmasters, the MTK kit has vertical linear dropoffs on both the front AND THE BACK of the thighs and shin/calf parts which I believe determine where the edge of the coverstrip should abut. My friend's thighs and calves are larger than what would be required for them to fit inside the assembled thigh or shin parts unless the coverstrip is almost 3-4 cm wide, which in my opinion is much too wide for them to look good and certainly deviates substantially from those seen in the movie and in the CRL.  We've got a plan to shim the thigh pieces to create space in the back to accommodate his bigger thighs, but I don't think shimming the shin/calf piece is realistic given the curved shape of the calf parts. Any suggestions about how best to address this are welcomed.

Here are images of the front of the shin/calf:

n4yeoSB.jpg   7gMnsaM.jpg

4vXvnEs.jpg   auxxRbB.jpg

It's almost 4 cm wide from one dropoff to the other one (red line to red line on the pic).

DfUoAq5.jpg

Here are images of the back of the shin/calf:

qGPvrcK.jpg   dJqa6Kz.jpg

gVYW4Ze.jpg  49i25WZ.jpg

If I bring the two halves of the shin/calf any closer together his leg does not fit inside.

Edited by maeander500

Normally we try to add any extra material on the rear as this is not seen as much by the public, but some add additional sizing to the front and rear, at the end of the day it would be best speaking with your GML as they will be reviewing the armor and may not allow larger cover strips, best to check :duim:.

A thread on the subject of larger cover strips