Sorting out a 2nd hand WTF kit

dcx13

Recently picked up a WTF ANH TD build (didn't find a definitive answer over at MEPD). The previous owner was 5'10" 215lbs, and I'm 5'11" 190lbs, so the maths of it was in the ballpark. Sadly, it looks like the 1" difference in our heights splits differently in our torso & inseam lengths. What's the generally accepted amount of overlap between the ab & chest plates? I've already identified length issues with the leg pieces, and it looks like the ab might be short as well. I know the back & kidney butt against each other, and looking at where things need to line up kidney to abs, it looks like the abs will be too short & the chest would be just above the top edge of the abs

Originally I thought I might just be able to get some new legs and go from there, but if the abs are already cut down, then it may be a wash & time to order a new kit. Hoping to avoid that.

Edited by dcx13

It's a bit hard to give advice if we can't see the issues ;) 

What's the generally accepted amount of overlap between the ab & chest plates? There should have an overlap, just over should be fine, there are no measurements, from the CRL

• Chest plate overlaps the abdominal plate.

But yes if you can post some photos we should be able to help a little more.

A great how to for adding photos https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/48799-posting-photos-using-imgur-101/

The complete kit is PO wearing it. The partial kit is me. You can see that the shins are already at the tops of the boots, and the thighs are too short overall. You can also see that the chest is just barely overlapping the edge of the abs, but it will be considerably above the abs once the kidney & butt are positioned on me correctly. The side shims were removed since they would need to be trimmed down for my sizing.

I didn't go much further in suiting up, as I could see there would be some issues to address before I could get things properly dialed in. Figured it was better to stop and refer to the greater hive mind here, before deciding if I should continue or start a fresh build.

411728493_10229007262659780_223911778957  412181820_10229007262979788_911009403825

Edited by dcx13
Image added

There's quite a few things which look off, shins and thighs coverstrips are quite large, standard size are only 20mm wide, some garrisons will allow larger coverstrips and some won't you'll have to check with your GML (garrison membership liaison)

I see your shins are right on top of the shins, you would need to add some strapping inside to make sure the shins don't move any higher.

Tighter strapping between the chest and abdomen will stop the abdomen from coming out but you are right on the limits, I'd do away with any elastic and replace with nylon so there is no give. 

I don't think your gaps are too bad, it's just a case of tweaking. I don't think there is only an inch between you and the original wearer, you can see you have more boot showing as well as the amount of gap between the large ab plate and your chest, I'd say it was more like 3 to 4 inches. I also think they may have cut some material off the base of the shins or top of the thighs.

Don't give up just yet, I'd update your chest ab strapping and go from there. 

20 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

There's quite a few things which look off, shins and thighs coverstrips are quite large, standard size are only 20mm wide, some garrisons will allow larger coverstrips and some won't you'll have to check with your GML (garrison membership liaison)

I see your shins are right on top of the shins, you would need to add some strapping inside to make sure the shins don't move any higher.

Tighter strapping between the chest and abdomen will stop the abdomen from coming out but you are right on the limits, I'd do away with any elastic and replace with nylon so there is no give. 

I don't think your gaps are too bad, it's just a case of tweaking. I don't think there is only an inch between you and the original wearer, you can see you have more boot showing as well as the amount of gap between the large ab plate and your chest, I'd say it was more like 3 to 4 inches. I also think they may have cut some material off the base of the shins or top of the thighs.

Don't give up just yet, I'd update your chest ab strapping and go from there. 

I appreciate the eyeball expertise! Yeah, after comparing my pic to his, and both to a MEPD Deployed level TD, I could see everything you've confirmed. I'm not writing it off as a total loss though, as I can still use it as a reference for how to/how not to assemble the new kit. I found an unassembled WTF kit that was a B pull - it's a TD, so I can hide B issues with weathering - from a local guy, still in the box, for an extremely fair price. I've already ordered a bunch of proper strapping hardware & materials that I was going to redo this one with, but they'll just get moved to the new build instead. Once the new one's finished, I can make a few minor corrections and offer this one to someone who might be a closer fit. 

• Like 1