Trooper armor for skinny arms

squirk

I am printing some Sith trooper armor for my 12-y.o. I scaled down the adult-sized STLs to about 80%, and that seems to be working just fine in terms of length.

However, he's a bit of a string-bean at the moment, and his arms are a little thin for the scaled-down armor in terms of width - notably the forearms and biceps.  I haven't printed the shins/thighs yet, but I am assuming I will have the same issue.

I am guessing the obvious solution is to buy foam of some sort, and stuff it into the pieces so that they "hug" his arms and don't slide around/off.  But I don't have a lot of time for experimentation on what foam to use, the best way to cut/install it, etc.  I am guessing that there is a better process than "just stuff some batting in there."

My hope is that there is a tutorial out there somewhere (or at least, a part of a larger armor tutorial) specifically taking about armor and skinny arms, but my Google searches must suck because I'm not finding anything on-point.

I'd be grateful if someone would be kind enough to point me in the right direction.  

Please and thank you.

You could look into sportswear sleeves with built in padding like this https://a.co/d/gjyg0k5

I'd suggest slightly oversized sleeves if you go that route so he can pull the "elbow" pads up to his biceps.

Or cut strips from a puzzle-type floor mat like those sold at Harbor Freight 

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-anti-fatigue-foam-mat-set-94635.html

Best of luck with the build.

• Like 1