RT-97C 'sniper' blaster rifle

I recently bought a completed RT-97C from a member of KOTE.

However, seeing as it was a bargain price, I purchased it to be the base of a Star Wars sniper rifle for a Storm Commando I'm (very) slowly piecing together.

All I've done so far is add the big scope and roughly attached a stock.

I've been wanting to do a sniper rifle, but to keep it based on a Star Wars universe weapon. When the rifle came up it was perfect. I'd never seen a RT-97C before. It's much more streamlined than the other heavy blasters, with a reputation for accuracy. It looks like something that might be converted for a marksman.

sniper.jpg

I'll be attaching a bipod, adjusting the stock to fit better, repositioning the other scopes and refinishing a few bits. Then it will be a respray to try and match the finish of my 'itchynutsdesign' E-11 which is only lightly weathered.

Here's a picture of how I originally purchased it.

BOUGHT.jpg

And how it appeared in the film.

ORIGINAL.jpg

Sandblast2.jpg

Wookieepedia Listing

Apart from the grip and a couple of switches it looks to be all scratch built.

I've added the scope and stock. But it seems to be made mainly of the usual plumbing fittings. The two other smaller scopes seem to be resin casts of existing SW ones, with bits added.

Thanks,

I've just found the website below and downloaded all the images. Amazingly detailed stuff, if anyone is thinking of making one. There is almost too much detail, so I'm having to select the bits I think are the most important.

Reference images of MG15

It's caused me to send these off to be diecut by my brother, who has a laser and is luckily a massive Star Wars fan.

LASERFILE.jpg

A bit more progress.

FULL.jpg

COUNTERSIDE.jpg

SPRINGSIDE.jpg

FRONTMAG.jpg

All that needs doing now is:

- Add E-11 cylinders to front disk of magazine, with wires to the Hengstler counter.

- Add some slightly thicker pieces of pipe to the barrel, next to the magazine, hopefully this will just slide over. I've also got a couple of bits of detailing to add there as well

- Add a scope from the film version to bring it back to the original a little bit.

- Add some of those adjuster knob thingys from the ROJ version of the E-11 to cover any holes.

- Prime

- Under coats of silver, copper and brown. where applicable.

- Spray black

- Add a few round head screws to the magazine to match real version.

I realise that I'm taking a few liberties with the counter and cylinders, but I thought, the more I can keep my additions in the Star Wars Universe the better?

Steven

Thanks for the positive comments. New update, nearly finished and base coat applied.

FULLVIEW.jpg

FRONTVIEW.jpg

Close ups:

COUNTERSIDE.jpg

SPRINGSIDE.jpg

Adjustable stock:

ADJUSTABLESTOCK.jpg

After surviving postage and giving it about a douzen bad knocks, the barrel finally fell off. So I decided to go for a removable barrel. It effects the look a little, but I think it adds to that sniper rifle 'break down' feel.

BARRELCONNECTION.jpg

BARRELOFF.jpg

The base coat is made up of a coat of black primer, then gun metal metalic, then a light coat of black. All there is to do now is:

- Add cylinders and wires

- I probably won't add a second 'screen accurate' scope as it could become crowded

- light weathering and detailing with screws

All the extra bits have added some weight, but I would say it is still (just about) troopable ;)

• 3 months later...

I've just realised that I never actually posted any images of the finished blaster. Mainly because my attempts to weather it didn't really work out, so I put it back to 'fresh off the line'. In the pictures it looks a bit weathered, but I have to admit that's just a layer of dust.

rifle.jpg

closeup1.jpg

closeup2.jpg

Sorry for the repetition, I just thought I'd put a 'full stop' on the project.

With my ItchyNutsDesign E-11, my mini (stealth) E-11 I made from my Doopy Doo left overs and my Shoto from Ultra Sabers , I've built up quite and arsenal. I was thinking of using them for some kind of Storm Commando, but they would probably suit a Mando better.

group.jpg

Might be cool to do a Mando. I know a Star Wars EU artist who I might be able to commission to do a nice illustration of a Mando with all the kit.

Nice looking collection. The sniper rifle turned out pretty good.

Cheers, the flash photography doesn't help. I know a couple of people who could give it a nice paint job. If I ever get a chance to get it done I'll post some more pictures.

Steven