Looking for smaller chest & back plate.

I'm one of those "short" troopers and I'm having an issue where my chest plate is resting on the TK belt thus pushing the top of the chest plate into the bottom of my helmet.

I've got FX armor with an AP bucket, so I'd like to get a smaller chest plate and back plate that matches up with the high gloss FX.

Any suggestions?

I have an AP chest and back plate. You can take a look at it in these threads:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3209/2773044140_2610e079f1_b.jpg

------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

If you can't find a shorter chest plate, you can mod an FX chest plate to better fit you. This is what I did for mine:

1) I heated the the upper part with a heat gun and bent the shoulder straps back. I rested the piece on an upholstered dress form to mold it uniformly.

2) I shaved about an inch off the neckline.

I think there are pictures of this in my member photo gallery. (If the gallery still works)

The next thing to do is trim the lower edge of your chest plate and give it a return. Haven't done it yet, but I plan to. There is a popular tutorial in the how-to section.

Hope this helps.

TK-9820 said:
If you can't find a shorter chest plate, you can mod an FX chest plate to better fit you. This is what I did for mine:

1) I heated the the upper part with a heat gun and bent the shoulder straps back. I rested the piece on an upholstered dress form to mold it uniformly.

2) I shaved about an inch off the neckline.

I think there are pictures of this in my member photo gallery. (If the gallery still works)

The next thing to do is trim the lower edge of your chest plate and give it a return. Haven't done it yet, but I plan to. There is a popular tutorial in the how-to section.

Hope this helps.

Here's one of your pics that I was interested in.

---------------

You stated that you trimmed 1.5" off the neck line, right? I don't think I could successfully trim my entire neck line and have it look good.

Also, I don't have a heat gun, so I'll have to rely on trimming only. Would a hair dryer work?

My shoulder straps are riveted, but I have extras, so that would not be a problem to replace those rivets.

My initial thoughts are to do this:

1) remove the shoulder straps from the chest and back plates. Drill new holes lower down on the chest plate for mounting the shoulder straps thus bringing the chest plate higher on my body. I may also have to cut the two high points on the chest plate a bit that underlap the shoulder straps.

2) maybe cut 3/4" from the bottom of the back plate (same as u did) as well as cutting some of the back plate underlap.

Does that make sense?

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021