VOX sensitivity?

Voice changers all appear to have the option of push-to-talk (PPT) or voice activation (VOX).  The PPT seems like it'd be difficult to set up, what with needing to have that button installed somewhere.  And since you'd have to press and hold it every single time you wanted to say something, that might quickly prove tiresome.  Plus, how would you hide the fact that you're pushing a button every few seconds?  VOX seems like the best way to go.  But what is the sensitivity of that?

I know that when you talk, it activates.  But what about when you clear your throat, or cough or sniff -- do all those activate it as well?  Can the sensitivity be controlled?

I know no one makes it, but ideally I'd love to see the opposite of a PPT -- one that was a push-to-mute.  Back in my broadcast days we used to call these a "cough button" that would mute the mic momentarily just so you could, well, cough.  Where you'd put one of these wouldn't be as much of an issue as with at push-to-talk button, since you'd only use it occasionally.  But again, that's a wish-list thing.

Thanks.

A.J.

Edited by A.J. Hamler

Not familiar with other setups but the TK Talkie system allows you to customize mic gain among other settings. I put my helmet on, turn on the fans, and everything I normally use and adjust it on the fly while hooked up to my computer. V3 will ditch the computer for a bt based app. 

Thanks, Jason, but I'm electronics-stupid, so DIY unit would be out of the question for me.  I know you'll protest that it's easy, but you don't know me and my decided lack of DIY prowess when it comes to electronics.  It's really sad.  I did check out the TK Talkie system and I'm beyond impressed at what it can do.  Still, I really need to stick to a ready-to-go unit like the TRamp, iComm or ROM/FX.

Can anybody address my original questions as they apply to those three units?

A.J.

Edited by A.J. Hamler