First time Hasbro E-11 Doopy conversion - tips appreciated!

Greenlight711

Hey all,

As a new builder, I thought it might be helpful to document my adventure and hopefully get some sage advice along the way. So here goes!

I'll start with my thought process as to how I ended up here. After some research on different types of E-11 builds out there, I decided that I wanted:

• Something of relative ease for a novice (I'm doing this primarily to build my skillset before receiving my Anovos TK kit later in the year)
  • Could be constructed with limited space/resources
  • Light and not too fragile for future trooping
  • Had electronics/sound (even if it's not the best)

Taking all of that into consideration, the classic Hasbro mod seemed to be the best choice. I sourced a nice 1996 Hasbro from eBay with everything in working order, and I also lucked out on a Doopydoos restock and got a conversion kit relatively quickly.

jIfPFFul.jpg

Even though the electronics of the Hasbro worked pretty well, one of the primary mods I wanted to do was replace the LED with something bigger and brighter. So, one of the first things I needed to do was crack the gun open. I started off by trying to pry off the ends of the scope with a flat end screwdriver (the results of my early foolhardy efforts are clear in the picture), until I landed upon a more sophisticated method of adding a hammer to the mix. The hammer worked very well for generally loosening it up; for the more stubborn parts of the scope with tons of fused glue, I switched out to an exacto knife which helped really dig into the crevices.

m3u8xVwl.jpg Fn6UujRl.jpg 4NbvOsal.jpg

For the scope and barrel tips, I used a dremel that I borrowed from a coworker. It made short work to the plastic, and bonus: the LED still worked!

qFuvkM4l.jpg

After a few hours of work, I was able to get everything out with relatively no damage to the gun. I got pretty lucky, and it came apart without much issue.

wYmIqBal.jpg GkrIxHRl.jpg doaW7O6l.jpg

Well, almost. It turns out that during the hammering process, something got loose and the sound stopped working. If anyone knows if I can repair this, let me know.

X6InmwXl.jpg

Moreover, I put some undue pressure on the gun while dremeling and one of the t-track fins received a hairline crack. I have Bondo, JB-Weld PlasticWeld, and superglue at my disposal - would be happy to take any advice on how best to address this.

In the mean time, I used 400 grit sandpaper to shave off the legal mumbo jumbo on the sides. It's decently even, but I do notice some scratchy parts that doesn't quite match the smoothness of the plastic - will this show when spraypainting? Should I get a finer grade paper?

I think that'll do it for now. I really want to address the electronics and t-track crack first before I move on to larger business like drilling in the extra set of holes on the barrel. Thanks for reading, and appreciate any words of advice that may come!