Skul's RS Prop Masters Build

I already started another topic on this forum (which you can view here) about my ATA helmet build. I'm still technically on the list for the rest of my ATA suit, but in the meantime, another member in my garrison posted on Facebook saying he was selling his half-completed RS armor. It turned out to be EXACTLY what I'm missing for my kit (down to the snaps, gloves, and other small things) and the price was just about right. So I jumped on it, and just last night, he was generous enough to drive something like 5 hours to give it to me.

I've gone through all the parts and everything's here. Like I said, it's half-done, so some of these things (including the thermal detonator and shoulder plates) are completely done. Others are half-done, and there are a few things I need to work on myself. But for now, I'm INCREDIBLY proud to own such an amazing piece of work!

I'm aiming to build this suit to Centurion specs - and, awesome enough, the parts that are done are done to those specs so far. I will be attending an armor party next Saturday, which hopefully will help me finish my helmet and get me a fair ways farther with the rest of this suit. My goal now is to have it done by April, and be Centurion-certified by the time Rogue One comes out this December. I think it's possible.

Just FYI, like my other thread, this one will probably have a lot of questions. This is my first build, and I want to make sure I don't screw up. So I'm relying on all of you amazing people to stop me if I screw up. Hopefully that doesn't happen, and instead you will be treated to a nice build thread of a first-time builder who just wants to build the best suit he can.

PICTURES:

Cloth belt and gloves (complete with latex guards) - DONE

YTqWRg0m.jpg

Thermal detonator with clips - DONE

CWBSPFrm.jpg

Ab plate - DONE (as far as I can tell)

SMA3G3Tm.jpg

Shoulders and Biceps - DONE

ikUyri6m.jpg

Forearms - DONE

hvfyQZbm.jpg

Butt plate - DONE

sEtxEF2m.jpg

Lower legs - MOSTLY DONE

JlKo22fm.jpg

Chest Plate - NEEDS WORK

5I6mLzlm.jpg

Upper Back - NEEDS WORK (I think just trimming)

jBSmnnhm.jpg

Kidney - NEEDS WORK (I think just trimming)

vZAPnepm.jpg

Thighs - NEEDS WORK (the most work of anything)

dbbEftzm.jpg

Misc. Parts - NEED CUT

sOE1gsHm.jpg

And finally... I have no idea what these are. The drop boxes?

9uiNbzsm.jpg

Edited by SkulShurtugalTCG

Look like the drop boxes to me, you have 4? And 2 slightly smaller that fit into the larger ones?

If the answer is yes then the answer is yes...

if it works kick it, if it doesn't work kick it till it does...

I guess they're drop boxes, then.

I did some trimming last night, but otherwise I'm going to wait until this Saturday's armor party to keep working on it. The sniper plate is especially giving me grief; is it supposed to be hard to put on?

You could always stay on ATA's list and make it a TD.

It's an idea. lol I really want to get to working on an R2-D2 after this, though. And those aren't cheap, so I think I'll just stick with this TK.

-------

If I screwed up, now's the time to tell me, before the glue dries.

I decided to work on my thighs - the one part of the kit that was still 100% untrimmed. I worked for a long time on them, using multiple screenshots and submission pictures from the Advanced Tactics program. (Those should be required reading for new recruits. Seriously.)

It took me forever to figure out that I DO need to trim the return edge off the tops of the thighs. Once those were gone, they fit MUCH better than the dry fit when untrimmed. After that, it was just a matter of lining them up properly on either side, trimming to the perfect fit, and then setting the first cover strips to glue overnight.

That was literally five minutes ago, so again, if I screwed up, tell me now.

Trimmed thighs. Top two are left thigh, bottom two are right.

F4X3oCfm.jpg

Focusing on the left thigh now, since once it's done, it's done. As seen from the front

KNK6WrHm.jpg

And as seen from the back

VQaUu5bm.jpg

Put in the inner cover strip and put on as many magnets as I had. Clamped the ends down.

G4OQ2nQm.jpg

The black lines are leftover from my trim marks, not gaps. There are VERY tiny gaps here and there but I'm sure the cover strips will take care of those.

SHeOn9Tm.jpg

Well, my armor party has come and gone. Aside from the thighs, I spent the whole day working on my ATA helmet - which, thankfully, is now done.

So all that's left, really, is some riveting and strapping on the rest of this. And, for now, putting on the sniper knee plate. This has been a head-scratcher ever since I got the kit; the knee, no matter how I set it, just will not fit flush with the rest of the shin. I have read that this is to be expected, so I guess I just had to make due.

UKa6WE2m.jpg

Again, the glue is setting, so if I did this wrong, tell me now. THIS is as good as I could get it. There's that huge gap between the plate and the right side of the shin, but other than that I think it looks good. Again, I'm aiming for Centurion, so if this is incorrect and I need to do something drastic like use a heat gun or do some shin trimming, let me know. But otherwise, I'm actually pretty happy with how this turned out.

9jFPQQxm.jpg

bH2M5mum.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd give one last update.

I spent a good three days (almost straight) working hard on my armor with someone who I cannot thank enough for his help. Long story short, it's done. There are a few things that I need to fix before submitting for Advanced Tactics (I need to use some ABS paste on the sides and replace the top straps with white), but for basic entry, I'm all done. I just submitted my 501st application today, after my GML said that I look all set!

So I apologize that this wasn't a big build thread like I had thought it would be. Like I said, I have a LOT to thank for the guy who helped me out. But I also have to thank the FISD forums for helping me out in starting out, doing some basic things on my own, and even just existing to help newbies like myself find their way.

Below are my submission pictures, which again, were approved by the GML. Thanks once again, and may the Force be with you all!

9qs6f7tl.jpg

nFfR17al.jpg

1He1vnol.jpg

p5s1l5cl.jpg

PMNBmsEl.jpg