HIPS vs. ABS TK armor kits

I'm about to buy a kit ands wondering the durability of the hips kits?  i know abs will be stronger but is the hips really flimsy and can you noticeably tell the difference just by looking.  also the hips is thinner according to most i have talked to, that is also a small concern as far as durability and the ability to form the cut areas and edges.. let me know if I'm wrong or just nervous regarding my first build... just don't wanna get into something and have to redo it all in 5 months because of its look/feel... thanks john

Contrary to some belief,  HIPS and ABS, though both are types of styrene plastic, they are very different from one another.

As stated many times, HIPS needs to be painted, where ABS (should be) is white, glossy and doesn't need paining. ABS is more durable, but does yellow over time. HIPS makes a nice kit in that it captures more detail than ABS. 

ABS also costs quite a bit more than HIPS, so your styrene kit should cost less.

You will also want to rethink your glue. Back when I was building TE/TE2 CAP styrene kits, I found that Testors (red tube) model cement works great with styrene. After all, our plastic model kits are made from the same stuff. It fills and sands very nicely.

Have fun!

I have 2 display buckets, one HIPS and one ABS. After transporting them arround in cons, the ABS one is still new, the hips one is cracked and broken. That is MY experience with it.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk