Building from new vs. buying a used armor suit.

I went the route of buying a previously owned TK set of armor. I've wanted a set of stormtrooper armor since I was 7 years old seeing Star Wars in the drive in. But I was very intimated by the pictures of unboxed photos of all those unassembled pieces of armor. <br><br><br>

A friend I work with is a member of the 501st and one day chatting I mentioned my interest in one day getting a set of stormtrooper armor. As luck had it he was building a new TK from AP and was looking to sell his current TK from AM. Shortly their after I was the owner of a completed set of TK armor. <br><br><br>

However due to substantial height differences the set would need some modifications. I had to replace the chest piece as it had been cut down and the sholders were cut shorter as well so those were replaced. The big one was the thighs they were 4" too short. So new thighs had to be assembled; not the easiest thing to start out on. In addition to those all the strapping and snap plates needed to be repositioned and replaced. I'm very detail oriented so that made modify the armor etra harder as I wanted to tweak and make it my own so I cleaned up a lot of edges and made my own adjustments they didn't need to be done but for me I needed to do it. <br><br><br>

I'm finally in the final stretch just need to complete the shoulder to biceps to forearms strapping. As well as await a new AP helmet coming to me in mid February as that wasn't included in the purchase. <br><br><br>

There was a lot of extras that needed to be acquired as the purchase was just for the armor. So boots, belt, neckseal, holster, Undersuit, blaster and gloves all needed to be ordered as well. <br><br>

Buying a prebuild TK for me was the right step but the amount of work spent to revise and modify was quite extensive. But I learned so much I'm eager to build abother TK from scratch now after getting my feet wet with my current armor. So this one will eventually become a TD Sandtrooper once I get my new TK Stormtrooper built.

Edited by TKZombie

TD? I'm going to suggest that you join the Heavy Weapons Troopers! We carry a different (easier and cheaper to build) combat pack, can carry the same weapons, don't have to permanently dirty the armor, and don't have to change the ab button and sniper knee pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk