Need a bit of hand-holding

As a Foreword, I am unsure if this has been posted elsewhere. I apologize if it has.

Dear Troops,

I'm rather interested in joining this community and getting my own armor kit. I've done a bit of looking and reading, but as an 18 year old in college I'm trying to budget out how I will eventually have a completed kit. With the recent release of Episode 7: TFA, I'm very interested in the First Order Stormtrooper rather than the good ol' Imperial bucket-heads (No offense). I have read the resource guide in the Getting Started forum but I am not very confident in my handiness with a Dremel and would feel anxious doing the "dangerous" parts of the armor. If anyone can lend a few helpful tips, they'd be very appreciated.

Thanks

TL;DR: 18 yo college student wants to be in a First Order Stormtrooper Kit ASAP but doesn't know where to begin. Requesting some veteran help in making decisions. Appreciates the help

Hey Ethan and welcome to the FISD! You're in good hands here.

No matter what armor you are going for, the first advise is research and more research. Read and follow other members build threads where you'll learn so much.  The second advise is about the dremel. Practice. Find something cheap to cut up and just practice. Third advise, don't let all of the information here overwhelm you. We all have been where you are. When you get the nice big box of armor and start unpacking it, chances are you'll ask yourself what have you gotten yourself into. But once you start, you'll find its much easier and more fun than you thought! Take your time, measure and try on pieces a few times. Cut a little less than what you measure and try on the pieces again. If you're not sure about something, ask about it here....troopers helping troopers is what we're all about!

Take a look at the 501st web site and see where your local 501st chapter is and get signed up on their forum. Many garrisons have build parties where members get together and help each other.

Like I said, no matter the armor...research, practice, ask questions and most of all, have fun!

Good luck Ethan :duim:

• Like 1

Thanks Steve! I think the biggest thing making me anxious about all of this is getting it up to snuff for 501st clearance. But like you said, Troopers helping Troopers!

To Rob and Brian, I live in Northwest Georgia (USA) and I have put in to register to the Georgia Garrison forum to begin those steps; of course with the holidays, it might take a few days to get in there. The nearest 501st Trooper to me is TK 4523, otherwise it seems pretty sparse until you hit the greater Atlanta area (Not much of a drive in terms of $1500 Trooper armors  :smiley-sw013:). In terms of rarity of the FO armor, that is sort of why I want to invest into it. It might be harder to do, more expensive, or take longer, but that seems like a decent challenge for my first armor. Plus, if the Georgia Garrison were to put on a build party, maybe they too are working on FO armor. I can't be the only one to want to jump in on the sleek new armors!