ROTJ AB Plate Inversion

So here's what I have. I'm building ROTJ trooper armor (image enclosed) and I have to cut out the square with the buttons and invert it because the buttons on the AB plate are for ANH armor.

I'm asking for advice on how to approach this cutting into ABS and then re-gluing. Would I need to create a new flat surface, and then glue it back on? I'm signed up to be a bell-ringer for United Way through work this Holiday season as a stormtrooper and I want to be completely screen-accurate by then. Sure 99.9% of the people that come in won't know the difference, but I want this totally legit.

What would you do? 

...Oops, and I'll make that rightmost bottom button blue as well.

xK99W1e.jpg

I'm not sure I understand the question, sorry. This ab plate is just two pieces (plate and belt) riveted together. The buttons sequence (accurate for ANH) are part of the ab-plate mold, and instead of getting the correct ab-plate, I'd rather tough it out and learn how to cut that square out, invert it and then make it right for a ROTJ armor piece.

I'm just wanting advice on how to do that and make it look as seamless as possible.

Thanks.