Overlapping back plate with kidney plate

I am putting together my first set of armor and am having trouble getting the back plate/ab plate/kidney plate to all line up.  I went the suspenders route to attach the ab plate to the lower back (kidney plate), but the problem is that if I line up the kidney plate with the ab plate on the sides, the back plate doesn't overlap the the kidney plate and you can see where the suspenders attach to the kidney plate.  No bueno, since I have already attached the suspenders and have cut approx 1" long 1/4" wide slots in to the kidney plate to do so. 

Any suggestions? 

My only thought is to heat up the back plate and take some of the bend out of the pieces that overlap the shoulders, thereby dropping the back plate down??

thanks in advance!

Edited by Darth Poison

How big is the gap between the back and kidney?  According to the CRL,

• Back plate shall have no, or minimal overlap of the kidney plate.

Could you post a picture so we can see?

How big is the gap between the back and kidney?  According to the CRL,

• Back plate shall have no, or minimal overlap of the kidney plate.

Could you post a picture so we can see?

The gap is minmal, but without overlap you can see the suspender straps.  Why is it recommended to use suspenders?  I just assumed (thereby making an an impolite person out of u and me i realize) that they were supposed to overlap in order to hide the suspenders clipping to the kidney plate. 

I'll get a picture up tomorrow. 

Alright, thanks guys! the other alternative is to fill in the holes i cut with an abs paste and then just glue or snap the suspenders on the inside of the kidney plate, and then all you would see is the suspender straps and not the clasps. I should also mention that the armor is black (shadow trooper). 

Edited by Darth Poison

What gave you the idea to use suspenders like this? It will be a problem for your back, if not it also will show in front when you stretch.

Edited by Ryth_

What gave you the idea to use suspenders like this? 

Dave's garage videos on youtube which I found the link to in these forums. in his videos the back plate overlaps the kidney plate and you don't see the clasps.  It's my fault (obviously)  for not checking the measurements and seeing how the pieces would line up before i cut the armor. 

Edited by Darth Poison

The front is okay. I'll watch what Dave does. BRB

edit; I think he hides the clamps with his belt. 

Skypig said what I was thinking as well. Elastic glued inside and hook them up there might be better --- as long as it wont keep the butt in an angle because of that.

Edited by Ryth_

Could you glue some elastic "tabs" inside the armor that the suspenders could then clip to?  

Yes.  What I am leaning towards is making ABS paste, filling in the slots i cut, then doing what you said or removing the suspender clasps and buttoning the suspenders to the inside of the kidney plate. 

I use suspenders to hold up my ab/kidney combo. It was easy to attach them, I just cut 4 pieces of webbing, then glued three sides of each piece to the armor; the 4th side (the top) is where I attach the suspenders. I put the webbing a few inches below the top edge of the armor.

no1dpIC.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated gmrhodes13 2021

I've actually seen the suspender system in action during a real troop and I can tell you that I was able to see the metal clips peeking out from underneath the guys armor.  It did not look very professional at all.

I'm curious why you might choose this approach, Chris.  If done correctly, the weight of the torso armor will rest on the shoulders  with the elastic straps underneath the shoulder bridges.

4iPHVtV.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated gmrhodes13 2021