Resin question

Revyl

While waiting for my first armor kit, I'm thinking about proper armament. I *do* have an E-11 which I built (almost 10) years ago. It looks good... but it could be better. It's made the usual way using a plastic tube and resin parts (with some scratch-building)

I'm wondering if I could rebuild it from the ground up (the current tube had some warping from the heat during the drilling/grinding)

It's held together by superglue, bondo and greenstuff iirc.

Now, what would be a good way to disassemble and STRIP the resin parts without dissolving the resin. The colors were acrylic rattlecan paints as far as I remember. Bear in mind that I live in mainland Europe, so I can't just get a hold of Simple Green or Dettol. What should I use? Break Fluid?

post-23071-143021179715_thumb.jpg

(PS : I also have a Rebel Blaster with the same resin parts. I guess I could cannibalize both guns for the resin parts)

While waiting for my first armor kit, I'm thinking about proper armament. I *do* have an E-11 which I built (almost 10) years ago. It looks good... but it could be better. It's made the usual way using a plastic tube and resin parts (with some scratch-building)

I'm wondering if I could rebuild it from the ground up (the current tube had some warping from the heat during the drilling/grinding)

It's held together by superglue, bondo and greenstuff iirc.

Now, what would be a good way to disassemble and STRIP the resin parts without dissolving the resin. The colors were acrylic rattlecan paints as far as I remember. Bear in mind that I live in mainland Europe, so I can't just get a hold of Simple Green or Dettol. What should I use? Break Fluid?

attachicon.gif205322_1007310299421_9565_n.jpg

(PS : I also have a Rebel Blaster with the same resin parts. I guess I could cannibalize both guns for the resin parts)

Breaking it down should be easy enough. Either cut the pieces off, or apply careful pressure and snap the part off.

You don't even have to strip the paint from the parts you will reuse. If you want to however, just get some sandpaper. You can also use one of those little mouse sanders to softly remove the paint.

From what I see of this blaster it looks pretty good and would easily pass level 2 standards.

Edited by Dday

From what I see of this blaster it looks pretty good and would easily pass level 2 standards.

Thanks. I know, I *am* quite proud of it, considering my then limited skills. It's mainly the weathering I'd like to improve, and (which you don't see in the picture ) it has no spring nor cocking lever. That's the area that's somewhat warped.

And the worst thing, it currently has no trigger guard. I didn't have a resin one and the metal one I made was just glued on. So, trigger guard and weathering are my main concerns, though, granted, I can fix those without disassembly.

Maybe I'm just itching for a project to work on during the wait for my armor. :)

I understand the itch for a project!

I think the best path to strip the paint is just sanding it down. You can try with paint thinner but it can damage the resin if it's the wrong stuff. I would sand it down nice and smooth, then start your layering with a metallic base coat and so on.

When I started my E11 kits I used a PVC tube and use the basic tubes that we can find over here in Germany. They are pretty thin walled. when I cut the slide for the charging lever it also warped. I don't think it was due to heat but rather due to the tube required a fully closed loop to hold it's structural integrity, since the walls are so thin vs the US tubes which are like 4-5mm thick.

If you just want to get some individual parts I can help supply you with some pieces from my resin casts. I only sell the power cells as a part of the kit, but if you want to get in touch with the best resin/metal cells you can find send a PM to playfullwolfcub. Or make your own. There are a few nice tutorials these days in the E11 forum.

If you want to get a full kit, let me know and I can put you on my run list.