ChicagoMP's NE Build or "Here Goes Nothing"

It was suggested that I post a build thread here after I posted some questions on other parts of the forum, as this is my first go at an armor build. I am finally getting started on my NE build after staring at the box for a year trying to get the gumption to make the first cut. Now that I have begun, I don't think my apprehension was misplaced. The NE plastic is thick, and is taking a lot more elbow grease than I though to cut through with a new shop knife. I thought I did my research well, but as I proceed I am finding that I still have a lot of questions. Attached are some pictures of my limited progress so far. Looking forward to everyone's assistance and input as I slog my way through this project.

P.S There will be a MTK bucket build later

P.P.S I am not sure what happened with the pictures, the smaller I resized it to the bigger they got

Cheers!  :pint1: 

2c3f4601-edb2-4ac0-8328-5741d4a7032d_zps4097bcc5-e7a4-4db2-94fe-4a601526e649_zpsIMG_2798_zpsa7mg2ilo.jpgIMG_2801_zps1eud5dlj.jpg

Hi Chris,

is there a particular reason why you place your coverstrips on your forearms the way you do?

I mean, why do you leave a blank space between the beginning of the molded ridge and the strips?

Normally it is supposed to be flush ...

Edited by Bone

Hi Chris,

I had the same issue with certain parts of my NE kit.  Some pieces were thick as hell, other pieces were really thin. For the cover strips, score the line 3-4 times and then snap it.  Use a pair of lexan scissors to cut the armor that will be covered by cover strips and then sand/file the edge, it's easier.  And the first few cuts are ALWAYS the hardest!

The cover strips should go to the edge of the raised ridge.  I'm not too sure why you did it this way.  Look at other build threads to see how others have done it.

Hope this helps,

Greg

I wish I had an excuse for my mistake with the cover strips, but it's just inattention to detail. Thanks for pointing it out gents (and thank god I used the E6000 glue).

I've checked a couple builds and have seen a couple different sizes for the cover strips. Is there a set size, or is it based off of how much of the return edge you're taking off?

Skypig, I'm still in. Been in Washington, Missouri, and Helmand AFG. Currently doing the Guard thing here in Illinois. California? Talk about the good ole' days.

The coverstrips on the arms are supposed to be 15 mm wide.

On the front of thighs and shins they are 20 mm and on the back of the legs 25 mm.

That means you gotta trim the raised edges to 7mm on both sides, so that you have an equal amount on both parts for the arms.

Smart move on using E6000! It saved my on numerous occasions too.  Bone is correct on cover strip sizes. 

The back of the legs can be 20mm if you don't need the extra width, they just need to be consistent.