Can I trim further?

How far can this be trimmed before it'll start to look bad? I have a rather large head and i find my neck getting a pinch near the front. It's also very uncomfortable slipping in and out of the helmet. I figured a bit more trimming would help a bit. 

IMG_20140708_194707_463.jpg

I found padding on the top and sides helped level off the helmet and kept it away from my neck...I have some trouble getting my helmet off but as long as it comes off.

Edited by Slangen

I found padding on the top and sides helped level off the helmet and kept it away from my neck...I have some trouble getting my helmet off but as long as it comes off.

Is it a common issue to have trouble getting the bucket off?

Is it a common issue to have trouble getting the bucket off?

Someone with more experience can answer that....I just assume it depends on your head size and helmet. I had to trim some of the neck area off to make it easier to put on....still a little rough taking it off

Unless you plan on putting it on and taking it off constantly on troops,  I think if you've got the screws inside cut down so you don't scratch yourself up, and obviously can take your helmet off, your okay. And like Evan said, having the S trim helmets keeping your neck from getting scratched up while wearing it and your face doesn't get scratched up taking the helmet off....

If no one has told you this before, the way you put one of these buckets on is turn it almost sideways with the ears facing more forward, then twist the helmet back into the right position as you put your head into it.  They do not go on straight up and down facing the proper way.  Give that a shot before you trim out any more.

When taking the helmet on or off you should turn your head 90 degrees where you helmet is wider.  Installing a chin strap will help keep the bottom front of the helmet from hitting your neck.  I'd recommend the trooperbay chin strap / foam pad combo for both comfort and bobblehead avoidance.

I trimmed my ATA pretty far up towards the mic tips. I just glued the S trim or I could show you some better detail of where I cut. I still have to turn sideways to get it on but it is a lot easier to get on & off without scraping screws. I covered the cut screws with a little foam padding too. Next up, a chin strap as I keep knocking the bottom of the helmet against my shoulders & upper body of my armor and helmet shifts a lot so I have real problems seeing even with all the padding. Gonna force it to stay in place. The problem of having a short neck.

post-19803-0-21147700-1405227846_thumb.jpg

Edited by Akasha

Have to laugh a little bit at the talk about scratching one's face while removing the helmet.

I do occasionally have a very distinct diagonal scratch on the tip of my nose when removing it if I'm wearing my armor. Not so bad if I'm only wearing the bucket. LoL

Have to laugh a little bit at the talk about scratching one's face while removing the helmet.

I do occasionally have a very distinct diagonal scratch on the tip of my nose when removing it if I'm wearing my armor. Not so bad if I'm only wearing the bucket. LoL

I always wondered how many times the guys in the movies scratched up their faces...

• 3 weeks later...