Been doing research, just need some advice

So I have been a long time fan of Star Wars and one of my ultimate dreams is owning a full Stormtrooper set. Well, I recently came back from Hollywood Studios in Disney World for Star Wars weekend, and needless to say, my want for a set is even more lively. Especially with Episode 7 hitting us very soon.

Going to conventions and any other gatherings is a dream of mine but I want to look the part. And to do that, I have decided that I want to invest whatever it takes to get myself a film accurate Stormtrooper armor set. 

Last night I started my research. At first I was about to save up money to get the Rubies Supreme Stormtrooper Costume, but as I do with everything I ever intend to buy, I researched. Thats how I came across this website as well as tons of information, such as TM, AM, FX, etc, and the different helmet styles such as Stunt and Hero. Had I been a casual fan, the Rubies set would be perfect. But the idea of 501st approved, and having something legit for conventions, just touched the right buttons/chords for me. I know its what I want, if not NEED! :P As a long time fan, I feel its only right.

Now, as I have said, I have been doing research, however I feel hands on comments are the best. So I do have some questions and would love any advice or help on my journey to getting the perfect build.

For starters, I am short. 5'6, almost 5'7. I am shorter than a short Stormtrooper. So this makes me ask, what make would be good enough for my size? I contacted AM, but I hear their armor is a bit bigger than others? If so, what would you guys recommend?

Also, I noticed a lot of these kits do not offer any black undersuits or gloves or Neck covers. Where can I go about getting these pieces that are 501st approved? 

I know some kits come with building instructions. I am a Meat cutter, I work on my Chevy Impala 03, and I have built Wal-Mart pieces of furniture, and thats as far as work with my hands go. Will I be skilled enough to assemble a kit? (preferably one that is pre-trimmed. But worse case scenario, I have an uncle that is an enthusiast with all this and he will be my go-to-guy for help)

And lastly, where on this forum are vetted sellers that I can possibly contact if I choose to do a more 1 on 1 transaction?

Thanks everyone, and I plan to be an active member and hopefully someday, a Stormtrooper!

-Dariel

*image added for reference of my small stature. I am a bit heavy for my size but my weight is evenly distributed through my body*

post-20988-0-56292600-1402411947_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the FISD! You have come to the right place if you want to be a trooper. There are lots of people here who have been doing this for a long time,and will be happy to guide you along the way. That being said, there is plenty of research to do right here on these boards. The questions you have asked have been asked by many others over time. Start here:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/

This is a listing of the vetted TK sellers around the globe. I strongly recommend you stick with this list rather than trying to find armor somewhere else. IMHO, avoid Ebay! In the link above you will see some recommendations regarding size. At 5'6" you should probably stick with any of the "screen-sized" suits (e.g. TM, MTK, ATA, AP, etc.) I'll let some of the more experienced troopers weigh in on this more.

As for all of the other stuff (neck seal, under suits, holster, belt, etc.) you can either try to build some, or there are people here from whom you can purchase that stuff. You will eventually have access to the saled threads where most of us make those purchases. Do some research and decide which kit you want. After that, things will start to make more sense.

And good luck.

Edited by DroidHunter

Greetings Dariel, and welcome to the FISD!!!

Sounds like you're going to be alright to me.  Research is the single most important aspect of getting this type of project underway and completed.

As for the vetted sellers, here you go:  http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/

As for the question of skill...  It sounds to  me like you should be fine again.  If you've ever built a model, everyone says that you'll be fine.  I tend to agree with that assessment.  It is far less chaotic than I expected it to be when I built a helmet about a month and a half ago.  I've got armor that is out for delivery right this very minute, so I'm sure that if you were to ask me this in 12 hours, I'd say that it looks impossible, but everyone else has managed to get it done, and I'm sure that both you and I will too!

Edited by Dark CMF