Logon's DVH E11 ANH Build

Logon

It looks good, and actually alot of the original Sterlings were quite glossy black. I would go for matt varnish...except on the pistolgrip, which is supposed to be rather glossy, being made of plastic or more precise bakelite...

Make sure that when you drybrush, be patient so as to make the brushstrokes invisible.....

Matt varnish like with warhammer characters? It's a type of clearcoat right?

What is your goto drybrush technique? Never acually done it before (well i have maybe in kindergarden but i cannot waste paint as i did then...)

Edit: Guess i need to buy an airbrush for the matt varnish.

Edited by Logon

Yeah it is a clear coat:-)...but not glossy. It comes in spraycans as well...that is what I use, but be very carful..I have now tried three times that it turns milky white if sprayed at the wrong distance in too large amounts at the time....

The drybrush technique is to take a "smaller" modelling brush, dip it in silver paint and then wipe it all off on a kitchen towel, and when no more comes off, you drag the brush back and forth across the raised points and areas on the weapon. You do this again with another layer of a more silvery coat....too much and it looks painted, too little and it will be invisible...the number of coats is up to you...which look you are aiming for...

Kindergarten level will probably be a little below the standard you would like to achieve;-)...

Yeah it is a clear coat:-)...but not glossy. It comes in spraycans as well...that is what I use, but be very carful..I have now tried three times that it turns milky white if sprayed at the wrong distance in too large amounts at the time....

The drybrush technique is to take a "smaller" modelling brush, dip it in silver paint and then wipe it all off on a kitchen towel, and when no more comes off, you drag the brush back and forth across the raised points and areas on the weapon. You do this again with another layer of a more silvery coat....too much and it looks painted, too little and it will be invisible...the number of coats is up to you...which look you are aiming for...

Kindergarten level will probably be a little below the standard you would like to achieve;-)...

Thanks for the tip!

Should i look into buying matt varnish made for figures? I would guess the spray nozzle is smaller. 

Or just buy a bottle and use a fine brush so i can avoid the milk problem.

Edited by Logon

You are most welcome, glad to help another "prospect" trooper:-)....

The varnish for miniatures normally comes in a bottle and is water solluble, and that will not last...so just buy the one you can find where you bought the colour sprays....

Ofcourse you could try the brush method..I have only used that on the handle and it looks good, but maybe it can look well allover the blaster.......

Great!..no not really, except that you should not buy the one with the funny spray nozzle...(cannot explain it, but it looks so much unlike a normal nozzle that you cannot mistake it)..

Looking good David!:-).. Yes quite matte, but I think you a right that trooping will wear some of it off....if not a semi matte or satin

varnish might save you the trouble of a new weathering.:-)...

I think it looks good:-), and I see that the drybrushing turned out good..:-)

Nice job!...

Yeah drybrushing is quite simple to do, if you start out right, which you apparently did:-)...

"Talked" with TM this evening, and he expects it to be shipped at the end of next week...so I get before going to Stockholm for three weeks on a course..

Really really looking forward to getting it, and getting enlisted...:-)..

Mine is shipped within a week as well if everything goes smoothly :)

Did you order yours assembled? I recall reading that somewhere, too bad was looking forward to seeing you do a armor build :P

Edited by SorenM

Yes David I "cheated" and ordered mine assembled. I simply do not have the time for an armour build at the moment. I just entered my pre-deployment training and I will be deploying to Africa in January.

Sorry to disappoint you with no build thread...;-)..I will have threads on the the add-ons though, helmet fans, Icomm, padding etc.

Yes..I am really looking forward to getting it.

Deployment is 6 months.

I am sure that I will have leftover pads, so if you pay the postage I can send some to you (when I find out how well they fit, or even if they are needed...)

• 2 weeks later...