Painting Black Boots White

Extremely happy with the Angelus Acrylic Paint. Does not crack at all. Only problem I see is it would work best if boot was broken in first. The only place the paint seperated was where the leather pieces were sewn together. Being two seperate pieces of leather there is a gap. The paint made a "bridge" over these gaps & it tore in these places. This is acceptable casualties & requires very little repair if any. I kinda like the look of "battle damaged" I think this can be avoided if the boot is a lil broken in or with some time seperate at the joints & paint inside before the entire boot is painted. Sorta like when a house painter paints the edges first.

I applied 6 coats of paint & 3 coats of top sealer. I used Angelus Acrylic White Paint & the 600 Angelus Acrylic Finsher. I purchased 4 of the 4oz bottles of paint & 2 bottles of finisher. For the entire boot project I used about 3/4 of 1 paint bottle. The finisher is a liquid & has to be applied with a rag (I used a piece of old TShirt). I used about 1/4 bottle on this project. It took 30min to paint one boot, painting in sections about 3"x3" before rediping my brush. I would reccomend keeping all your strokes in the same direction. On the 1st coat I painted both. Later on when it dried it gave a cross grain. For the remaining 5 coats I only used verticle strokes & luckily it covered this previous mistake. The top coat finisher was applied with the rag & only took about 3min to cover the entire boot.

The company reccomended 2 coats of sealer. I chose 3 because on the 1st coat I did not put any on the sole. The sealer gives it a nice shine. My boots look almost "rubbery" I expect this to dull over time. I used the top coat sealer because it will prevent chipping, & peeling. Actually this will look great on a clean TK. You would probable avoid using if your going for the dirty TD look.

All in all Angelus Acrylic Paint is highly reccomended & can be purchased directly from the distributor. They are located in Southern California(as am I), & I received my order the next day after placing it. They will answer all emails the same day & answer the phone when called. All staff were extremely helpfull & Linda(owner of company) was not to busy to call me back personally & help me with my problem.  :jc_doublethumbup: 

http://angelusdirect.com/collections/all

I know this was a Biker Scout Boot project. But being about painting black boots white. You can follow my advice & paint your black jodpurs white without any worry.

Glad we could be of service! I was checking my site traffic and found my way here. If anyone has any questions please email Angelusshoe@gmail.com and I will be free to answer them at anytime m-fri 8-3:30pm. The boots turned out terrific and it looks like you went with the paint brush method. If you had a sprayer you could even spray our paint for an even more even finish. We appreciate all the support and hope to be able to help! Angelus does suggest using acetone to clean the original clearcoat off to make it last longer though not just straight on as some other user said. 

Edited by AngelusDirect

• 2 months later...