FX armor has lost its whiteness due to age suggestions

Hi,

I inherited a suit of FX armor and have been busy modding it and getting it up to speed over the last few weeks. I wanted to get it looking as good as possible with what I had.

Now I know I could go and buy a whole new set of armor but for now I wanted to stick with what I had. I have replaced the helmet for a TM helmet due to the inaccuracies in the FX model.

I took some pictures last night of the shiny new white helmet with the older looking chestplate. The colour difference is noticeable. I was wondering if any of you had suggestions.

Should I just leave it? Should I try bleaching the armor? Should I paint it?

Should I just make do with mismatching shades of white...

EU4nsgG.jpg

Thanks,

Alex

Yeah I'm not sure I should worry about it. You are right that in lots of shots from ANH the colour does seem inconsistent between armor and helmets' I kinda prefer the less shiny white of the armor anyway. I don't think I can be bothered with the wole peroxide oxy cleaner UV light thing and I am worried I will do it wrong and melt my gear.

If I was to paint I'd presumably spray paint it. I have got an airbrush too. What kind of paint would be kind to the ABS and not look crapppy? Would Acrylic white do? I may go down this route. What are peoples thoughts?

Alex

IN ANH the armor was not acrylic capped, it was sort of off white ABS while the lids were painted over Khaki "fishpond" color plastic.  As a result the helmets were a brighter white than the armor.

That being said, Krylon Fusion paint is amazing stuff and sticks very well to plastic, if you decide to go that route.

My RS painted lid does not match the Armor, but I think it looks great.  YMMV.

hGpAf8f.jpg

I think I'm going to paint it and do it with this paint:

----------

I've already ordered it but if anyone knows a reason for me to not use it on ABS plastic can they let me know soon as I can still cancel the order...

alex

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

On 4/11/2013 at 12:17 AM, Xander2323 said:

I think I'm going to paint it and do it with this paint:

---------

I've already ordered it but if anyone knows a reason for me to not use it on ABS plastic can they let me know soon as I can still cancel the order...

alex

Reading the production description, it sounds similar to krylon fusion. 

I'd say give it a try! You can always paint your garden chair with it.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Hmmm...after a few teething problems the spraypainting of my yellowed armor white has worked out great. Just finished the chest plate and it looks brand new. The paint looks just like clean fresh white ABS. I have discovered you just need to spray lots of light coats. Thanks for the tips as it was the right move to paint.

• 2 weeks later...