cold weather trooping

I live in Anchorage, AK and will be joining the local garrison for a parade later next month (which, coincidentally would be my first real trooping experience). The issue that concerns me is the extreme cold we're experiencing at the moment. Now, the weather shouldn't be as cold in February. As of right now, we're looking at about -10F. Obviously I'm going to be wearing some heavier thermals than usual, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate the input. My gloves are rubber chemical gloves; under which I'll be wearing glove liners and I'll most likely wear a balaclava under my helm.

Ouch...-10 now that's cold. In all honesty without looking "bulky" you're in for a cold troop. Problem with Armor is, when its hot...its hot and when its cold, its cold. In my opinion the only thing to do is separate the distance from your skin to the plastic and invest in the best undergarments as possible.

Orrin,

Ā 

With a name like that, you must be Scandanavian, and familiar with the cold. B)

Here in Minnesota, we sometimes face the same conditions. I have trooped in single digits with below zero windchills, and I have used a 5mm full wetsuit under my armor. It has "farmer john" style pants with a full top, so I have 10mm of neoprene wrapping my torso.

The only way this will work, however, is if you use velcro on the armor seams, which would allow you to add shims for the extra bulk. If your wetsuit is not completely black, you could wear your normal undergarment over it, assuming it stretches (like underarmor). I also recommend some hand and feet warmers that help keep your extremities warm. All this can postpone the inevitable hypothermia... :o

I am pretty used to the cold having lived in northern states for the past sixteen years, but -10 is pushing it, especially when one's adorned in a plastic shell. As for the weather, I'm really hoping it'll be warmer by the end of February as January is usually the coldest month of the year for us.

Another concern is with the tempreture that cold - most anything that is glued together will probably break apart. I put my helmet in the freezer so I could take my lenses out and take my screen of. It was glued down with hot glue though.

Ā 

You could always try a wet suit underneath...

Ā 

With all that said, I wouldn't suggest trooping in that cold of weather. Too many risks (to your armor and yourself).

I checked the average temperature for late February and it looks like it always hovers somewhere between the high teens and mid to high twenties. With that in mind, it shouldn't be too bad. If it ends up being as cold then as it is right now, I'm bailing. I'll do something inside, but after camping in sub zero temperatures as a kid I have a personal oath to spend as little a time as possible in weather that frigid.

after camping in sub zero temperatures as a kid I have a personal oath to spend as little a time as possible in weather that frigid.

LOL... thanks for the encouragement. I will be in northern Minnesota at a camp with my son this weekend, and the temps are supposed to be below zero (Fahrenheit) all weekend... and I have no idea what the windchill will be...

At least I won't be trooping... :blink: