HDPE, pros and cons?

ZagTrooper

Hey, I'm new here to the forums (but ive skimmed over a few threads from time to time) and I have a question. I plan to put together an ANH stunt together and I want to go from the top and work my way to the bottom (Bucket first, then armor etc.). and I've found that RS props makes a GORGEOUS stunt bucket and you can get it in HDPE. Now what are the pros and cons of this material compared to ABS, or PVC, durability wise, how well it holds up to trooping and whatnot. apologies I'm pretty green to this hobby lol

Cheers.

Ive had both the RS PVC and HDPE and the detail is amazingly sharp on both lids but the HDPE wins hands down.The only con i can see is the plastic is green so you have to paint it and the paint chips off quite easy showing the green plasic under the white paint.However the HDPE is the same plastic that the original movie lids were made from and alot of people like the chipped look replicating the movie helmets.

Okay I just might go with HDPE, I don't mind painting it at all. Also do these helmets flex moreso than ABS or PVC?

I remember the rubies TK bucket I got for Christmas as a kid that was absolute trash cuz it caved in on the sides after a few years to the point where you can't even put it on your head. God it was terrible, I tried stretching it and wearing it but it split right at the bottom up the front of the right ear almost touching the top trap :S Suffice it to say I want a good bucket :P

You have to know this green helmet from RS props is not made out of HDPE( High Durable Poly Ethylene) it's made out of PP ( Poly Propylene).

That are two different materials.

The details in the PP are a little bit sharper as in the ABS or PVC.

No one knows if the HDPE was used on the real helmets, neither if it was PP.

But this PP plastic looks very close to the original bucket which Simon has.

Edited by Turrican

Hi Mike , i have all three RS helmets ABS , PVC , and the PP , and imho i would say the PVC and PP are the same and both really sharp for showing all the walts and bumps of the original lid , the ABS not so much but still a nice lid ;)

Heres a couple of examples of the sharpness between the two.

Ok my HDPE on the left and the PVC on the right.

Notice the differance's above the nose bridge the HDPE, Its square where as the PVC is rounder and its a bit hard to see in these photos but the corner of the mouth at the bottom of the last tooth the HDEP is alot sharper here .Over all I found the HDPE lid was shaper in every detail.

P1010428.jpg.200a82e69a37e0257f19f9ff1b7c656d.jpgPB290015.jpg.1058a6af53738cdbbc95aa5b00ebf21b.jpg