Forearm trimming question

My forearm pieces have been trimmed a bit smaller (I'm skinny) and have a tight curve to them at the join, so the cover strips do not want to lay flush against the armor. Was this ever an issue for anybody?

Edited by fritzthefox

Hey fritzthefox,

I believe I had the same issue with my AP armor, yes. Sometimes the curve is side to side. I trim the half, and sometimes there's just going to have to be a gap. This is where using inner cover strips can really help you out. You can fix part of the problem with the inner strip, then complete it with the outer strip. Here's a good example:

100_6738_Dec_2012_resized_zps394379ab.jpg

I have also experienced curves in the forearms, and used a shim piece of thinner plastic to solve that (cut from a for sale sign from Home Depot) on one half of the exterior. Then put the outer cover strip over it. Here's what I did:

100_6747_Dec_2012_resized_zps5a50fab3.jpg

100_6743_Dec_2012_resized_zps94db098d.jpg

100_6744_Dec_2012_resized_zpsed0fe4e4.jpg

I've also been troubled by the "bowing out" of the thigh pieces, meaning they curve outward. And the length of the thighs was too long for my clamps to reach, and the bend of the curve was stronger than the tape I was using to hold in place. Solution: rare earth (neodymium) magnets. I got mine from K&J Magnetics (http://www.kjmagnetics.com/), and these things are way strong. One underneath on the inside, one on top. As soon as I put them on there, -click!- curve was gone. Magic, and this is what I recommend. (I used ring shapes because that's what I had, Pandatrooper used disc shapes in his assembly tutorials (http://www.whitearmor.net/fisd/Tutorials-legs).

100_6750_Dec_2012_resized_zps9f3154c3.jpg

How do you cut the forearm for cover strips? My forearm pieces, which have the molded overlaps of ROTJ lineage, have a significant curve to them, so I'm not convinced a straight cover strip would parallel the raised portion of armor. Was this ever an issue for anybody?

Thanks, Tom. Yes, the bowing of the forearms has been giving me fits. I'm a skinny guy, so I opted to trim them a bit, and the curves were already asking a lot of a 15mm cover strip. I ended up doing what you have done, using a 20mm inner strip (although I used acrylic, which I would NOT recommend. It is tough and flexible but rather brittle, making it hard to score and snap. I end up snapping off bits of it if I do not score deeply enough.) I also stuck a mailing tube under one of the forearm pieces as a form and hit it with a heat gun (with much trepidation). That helped a little, although the joins are still not as nice as I would like. The top cover strips are not wanting to stay flush. I am waiting for the glue to cure as I write this, but I'm not convinced it will hold the shape yet. It is turning into more of a battle than I anticipated. I may have to try a little ABS cement, or do more shaping. Or I may try your shim idea.

I have some magnets. They are a constant source of amusement and finger injuries. Yesterday, I found three of them attached to a spoon in the sink while I was doing dishes.

Edited by fritzthefox

Haha, yeah, those rare earth magnets will get you if you're not careful. They're also fragile in some ways, I broke two or three of my ring magnets at once when I dropped an armor piece the other the other day. Ouch...$$.

I agree on a wider inner cover strip (I can't think of a better name for that, but there's got to be one). I am going to have to do that with a thigh piece that is giving me fits, or maybe both thighs.

I have had similar problems with some of my pieces, as I am a bit on the thin side. What worked for me was to glue one side, then once dry I lay the cover stip on the join, clamp and apply some heat to both sides of the piece, then apply some downwards force to the cover strip. This has worked well for me and takes the tension out of the pieces joined. May just add before attempting to heat abs you should have a practice on some off cuts. ABS is easy to heat but there is a danger of heating too much, so if you try this just take your time. Good luck how ever you proceed :salute: