UV Crystal Boat on ABS?

COAT. I mean Crystal COAT. Oops! :blush:

I was kicking around the idea of spraying my helmet, and later my armor, with Krylon's UV-Protective Crystal Clear Coat.

I'm thinking this might be a way to keep the ABS from yellowing, and protecting it a bit from nicks and scratches.

Has anyone done this to their armor?

Over time, will it do anything to mess up the esthetics?

I can't imagine it would do anything except help protect the ABS, but wanted to ask if anyone has done this, and could share some knowledge with us.

I'm off to try it out on a piece of test plastic. I'll let ya' know how it turns out, short-term.

Thanks!

-- While I was writing this, I just remembered the old SNL skit for "Crystal Gravy" that parodied Crystal Pepsi. Both are equally disgusting ideas. Anyone else remember that stuff?

Hmmm.... after trying this little experiment, it definitely looks like it will add a nice protective layer to the plastic, however it leaves a dappled texture that I'm not digging so much.

I don't think I'm gonna' do it.

Has anyone else had different results? Maybe I just suck at spraypainting. :P

The dappled texture you mention sounds like "orange peel" - you might be holding the spray can too close to the plastic, spraying in bad temperature/humidity conditions or spraying too thick layers of the clearcoat.

Try to keep a good distance to the plastic surface and spray several even, thin layers of clearcoat instead of a few thick coats.

Also, avoid cold and humid conditions when applying the clearcoat (and spray paint in general). :)

The dappled texture you mention sounds like "orange peel" - you might be holding the spray can too close to the plastic, spraying in bad temperature/humidity conditions or spraying too thick layers of the clearcoat.

Try to keep a good distance to the plastic surface and spray several even, thin layers of clearcoat instead of a few thick coats.

Also, avoid cold and humid conditions when applying the clearcoat (and spray paint in general). :)

D.) All of the above. :lol:

It's about 29 degrees here, with 70% humidity, and I was shivering like a chiuaua on amphetimines, so I just sprayed it in hurry and hustled my skinny a$$ back inside. :P

Maybe I'll take another crack at it when it's nice out, and take your advice.

I know I was doing *something* wrong... and it turns out it was everything. Hehehe....

I really did know better, but my enthusiasm got the better of me. Wouldn't be the first time.

So... you're saying that if I'm not a complete spaz about it next time that it will work? ;)

I really did know better, but my enthusiasm got the better of me. Wouldn't be the first time.

So... you're saying that if I'm not a complete spaz about it next time that it will work? ;)

I'm positive it will work next time... only take your time! :)

Yeah... I'm quite familiar with the "enthusiasm getting the better of me" thing! That's why I - among other things - may have to find a new pair of biceps parts for my armor, unless I can... fix... well, dang. And no, it wouldn't be the first time for me either...:lol:

Spray painting generally is a b*tch. Last thing I painted myself was my Vader armour, and I did it under conditions similar to yours. Guess what happened when I removed the masking tape... :6:

Go for it again, in an indoor controlled climate environment, if possible. Otherwise yes, wait for better weather. Outdoor painting is a hit/miss issue every time, IMO... either the climate botches things up, or one has a nice layer of dust and bugs in one's shining new paint coat...

Best of luck to your project! :)