Just got my ATA kit and no idea where to start

• 4 weeks later...

I know the armor was designed for someone 5' 10 and 150 lbs, but what other measurements should be considered? I am 5' 10 and 158 lbs (as of yesterday with all my clothes on) I just want to make the armor as close to it's intended fit as possible.

A friend and I are 6 ft and around 150, and I was wondering how much of the abdominal/kidney plates could be trimmed for our ATA kits?

matching up the edges on each side, gives me a lot of wiggle room on the inside! How tight should this be???

So tight that you can easily breath! On Troops you walk around a lot and a long time, you definitely need Air! :)

are we talking inches or millimeters? how tight or wiggly is yours? It seems ridiculously much between my stomach and where the abdominal plate is when I have the kidney plate flush to my back...

I would reccomend some neodynium magnets to hold the helmet and armourparts toghether when adjusting and glueing parts together. Do check out the concept of "score and snap" as this will make your life easier. The lexan scissors are a greeat tool also.

Take yout time, and maybe ask some nearby troopers for some insights? A good armourparty can take away a lot of doubts surrounding the start of such a project.

Rivera

I would reccomend some neodynium magnets to hold the helmet and armourparts toghether when adjusting and glueing parts together. Do check out the concept of "score and snap" as this will make your life easier. The lexan scissors are a greeat tool also.

Take yout time, and maybe ask some nearby troopers for some insights?

As a graphic designer, I'm awesome with an xacto blade, or a carpet knife. A safety ruler is a good investment too. I didn't realize I could score and snap until after cutting half my stuff out with a small lexan scissors and a pretty raw edge too I had to smooth up with sandpaper. Score and snap really speeds up the process too. Cutting with a scissors could take much longer with not as nice of an edge.

Don't order magnets from TrooperBay. The ones I got were small in diameter, maybe 10mm and were not that strong. Get magnets that are at least the diameter of a coin like a US penny or nickel. In spots where the seem is too thin to fit it, you can put a block in between and the strong magnets will still hold. The magnets I had barely held the armor to the cover strips. Blue painters tape did an ok job holding things together as I tried things on, and also while I'm gluing things into place.

For starting, I did the biceps first.

Good luck!