Just got my ATA kit and no idea where to start

I just received my ATA ABS kit. Even after months of extensive research I'm still at a loss for where to start on this thing. I will probably assemble the helmet while slowly cutting out all the armor sections. My point is, I don't know what to buy for cutting. I have a dremel but I don't trust myself with it. I assume the armor can all be cut with scissors, but I'm not sure. I have been seeing a lot of debate over cutting methods, adhesives, velcro versus snaps and snap plates, and i'm still confused about butt joints. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Just FYI I got a ATA ABS kit which I plan to make as close to Han Solo centurion accuracy as my newbness will allow lol. I already have a dive skin, lenses, and boots on the way. next is gloves, accurate handplates and neckseal then on to the daunting task of building the E-11 from scratch. No resin, all pvc and sheet metal from a template that I will have to hunt down again.

http://forum.whitear...showtopic=11760

The helmet is a good place to start. For the body armor, most start with the smaller pieces (forearms and biceps) and go from there. I would also seek some hand-on assistance from the folks at Cloud City Garrison, as they may already have many of the needed tools and supplies.

Cloud City is the first place I posted. I was thinking I could get local AND national/global advice and help simultaneously! Which is why I posted a similar thread on both and will be updating each of them with the same pictures and questions. I guess this will be the progress thread that is my TK costume. Anyone know the name of those scissors that are used to trim the armor? Lexian scissors, I think. Where can I get those?

If you have a hobby shop nearby, in particular one that specializes in plastic scale models (cars, airplanes, military vehicles, etc.), you should be able to find the scissors there. Alternatively, you can buy them online.

I do, actually! I went there to buy gundams and they had all sorts of car, helicopter, boat, and train parts. They must have a lot of the stuff I need! I am also going to attempt to modify the thigh tops to match more and will need to re-form the return edge. Also, I need to knock out the thumbprint on the right bicep (It's the right bicep, right?). Would I need to use the plastic iron thing for models, or a heat gun for those things?

The plastic iron thing, i.e. a hobby/sealing iron.

You don't necessarily *need* to soften and/or eliminate the thumbprint (I don't know if it's right or left) for any level of 501st qualification, although it is certainly your option to do so. Actually the only person I know of who has successfully reduced or removed a bicep thumbprint on any kit is Roguetrooper.

I aim to mod this thing any way I can to get it as close to Han accurate as possible. the thigh tops and extra thumbprint are the only "bodywork" I can think of. Are there other mods I should consider? Keep in mind I have an ATA ABS kit. With specially requested "hero ears" however it came with four ears. Is that normal?

The lexan scissors are a really handy tool, you can trim almost the whole kit with them and they cost around 10 bucks. ATA sends 2 pairs of ears in case you make a mistake. Take your time and have fun.

So, I will buy E-6000 and the multi-size clamp set from wal-mart and the scissors and heat iron from the hobby shop. Is that a good start for the actual cutting, gluing, fitting, and assembling (everything before strapping and snapping)? Do the scissors work well for the cover strips?

here's the shopping list for tomorrow:

Hobby knives

Hobby scissors

E-6000

clamps

blue tape

metal ruler

I have the earth magnets coming from trooperbay. Should I get curved scissors for the eye sockets? Would the hobby knives be good for cutting out the teeth? Also, since I'm doing the bucket first, what kind of rivets, brads, etc should I consider for that? Luckily I live across the street from the home improvement store.

Look at this before you start the helmet, it will pretty much answer your qestions. The curved scissors are good for trimming the armor pieces. The finishing strips is where you will need a sharp razor and a metal ruler.

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=14806

Look at this before you start the helmet, it will pretty much answer your qestions. The curved scissors are good for trimming the armor pieces. The finishing strips is where you will need a sharp razor and a metal ruler.

http://forum.whitear...showtopic=14806

This will be my guide for the construction of the helmet...

Question: Is it going to be a big deal if I don't fill in the fourth tooth holes on the frown and or the second screw hole on the ears?

Also, anything Han Solo TK specific that isn't noted in the "How to make your TK as accurate as possible" thread?

Also, can you see how the cod right over the crotch area is malformed and not symmetrical? Is that normal?

Some questions:

Is there a really thorough thread showing just how much return edge there needs to be for all the parts? All I can really find is things like "varying amounts of return edge all over"

Also, as far as helmet assembly, what kind of screws do I need to put the helmet together? What gauge of drill do I use? The ATA kit came with a baggie of hardware. Is that just for the aerators?

Is there a good resource for hd screencaps of anh troopers? I've searched this forum and the internet a lot webs only come up with starwarshelmets. Which is good for helmet reference, but I need full body reference pictures, preferably hero.

There a alot of pix of the suits used in the movie all over this site, but you will have to find them. Just use the search feature. Look at tk300 site, there are quite a few closeups of the suits in the stormtrooper reference section.

http://www.tonybarne....com/index.html

Edited by SCTrooper

I think the two sets of ears that come with the set are different. The three bump ears (like the one in your photo above) are for the Hero version, and the four bump ears for the Stunt version.

Both sets have three bumps. One set seems like it is a slightly less sharp pull. I'll do my best to not mess up the first set. I want to put the helmet together early on in the build but am lost about what screws/rivets to buy....

The helmet kit comes with everthing you need to assemble it except paint and decals. All the scews should be in the bag with the mic tips. The larger screws are used in place of rivets that way you can make ajustments if needed.

Ok, my focus right now will be on cutting, trimming and fitting, and gluing the inside cover strips. After that I will deal with minor tweaks, like heat-bending parts to fit better, trimming my ATA thigh tops to be accurate, and heating out the right thumbprint. For now, any and all advice on how to CUT TRIM and FIT is what I'm after. Please help!!

Oh, yes. The helmet is going to be constructed as well along with the cutting and fitting process.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Is it wrong to ask members individually for specific help, or is that too intrusive?

http://s807.photobucket.com/albums/yy354/gazmosis/ATA%20armor%202012/ I am near complete with my ATA kit. Although yu are doing a hero, most other things are comparable. Just additional info if you want it. Sorry the pics are not in order but they are numbered and have descriptions. Just for your info, in pic 65, it shows where I removed (for the most part) the thumbprint in the bicep. I tried the sealing iron. But a few gentle waves with the propane torch did it for me to soften up the whole print area at once. BE CAREFUL IF YOU TRY THIS!!! PLASTIC WILL HEAT TO ITS WARPING POINT WITHOUT WARNING!!!! YOU WANT TO GET THE PLASTIC TO THE POINT THAT IT'S SOFT BUT NOT WARPED! Edited by gazmosis

I have received my bubble lenses from John. Thanks, bro!! Also got my TK boots.

I was wondering if there is a resource to Harrison Ford's height and weight at the time in 1977.

I know the armor was designed for someone 5' 10 and 150 lbs, but what other measurements should be considered? I am 5' 10 and 158 lbs (as of yesterday with all my clothes on) I just want to make the armor as close to it's intended fit as possible.