Problem closing torso sides

Hello.

I am well into my first TK build and have just finished the torso (chest, ab and back, kidney and butt plate), complete with a strapping and connection system similar to that shown in the FISD armor tutorials (I did however use industrial strength velcro instead of snap plates since this is my first build and I wanted the tolerances to be adjustable). I previously measured the sides so that they joined evenly and cut the excess. I excitedly put the torso pieces on today after allowing the velcro on the armor it's 24 hour cure time, and having reinforced the velcro on the 2" elastic straps by sewing the pieces to the elastic in addition to the adhesive already on the velcro.

I noticed that where the sides come together, they bow out to a point instead of staying flush with my sides or contouring to my midsection. The butt plate also flares out on the sides. I am not having any issue with the chest or back plate, only the side seams for the ab and kidney plate sticking out, as well as the sides of the butt plate. I noticed on the tutorial for the chest and back that there seemed to be some black padding inside of the ab plate. Is this something that would solve my problem or should I heat gun the pieces and try to give them a more curved, body fitting shape? I don't think it has to do with me being too big, I am 5-11 and about 175 pounds. I don't think I trimmed too much, since when I push the sides in the seams meet flush and the sides curve.

I am perplexed...

I heated and conformed the butt plate to my body and it is now nice and snug... It will almost stay on by itself. I found another post a bit back with a similar issue and someone had said that the belt will bring the sides in. Could be, we will see.