A few newbie questions

Hey all, I've been considering getting armor and a helmet for a while now but I've finally made the decision to do it. I'm saving up and looking up resources, but since there's so much online it can get pretty overwhelming sometimes.

So I just have a few questions about getting started and armor details.

1. Are all the eye lenses green? I have never seen a helmet where the lenses on the outside look green, but when I look at all the for-sale helmets they're all green.

2. I've been looking to get just a helmet for now, but I've heard that you can't really separate the purchases, and that you have to buy the whole deal instead. Is this generally true?

3. What would be the most decently bang-for-your-buck place to get a helmet? I'm thinking the ESB one, but personally I really can't tell the difference between the helmet models

4. As far as helmet hardware goes, I was looking at the Skullworks set that pretty much includes everything. Has anyone had any experience with this and/or would you recommend a better alternative?

Sorry if these questions have been asked a billion times before!

Welcome to FISD Connor, if you haven't already, read this:  Getting Started

1. Hero lenses are smoke-colored or green, but stunt helmets have green lenses. Most of the time people use either green plastic film (movie accurate) or welding shield. It looks darker than it is, but they are green.

2. All vendors sell helmets and you can buy one separately from the armor.

3. Look at www.starwarshelmets.com to get a feel for the different helmets: ANH, ESB, and ROTJ. Your helmet will also dictate how your armor turns out (or vice versa) if you are looking for 501st approval.

4. I don't have the skullworks set up but you should be able to find information by searching here. There are alternatives as far as installing fans on your own, and various members sell microphones and speakers, etc.

If you have more questions, keep asking them.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Answer to question 1. All the original screen used stunt lids had flat green acetate or acrylic lens and the Heros had bubble lens in either green or smokey grey. Even though it is hard to tell on the screen and in photos that the lens are green, that is why all the replicas are that way.

Answer to question 2. Yes, you can buy the lids separate from the armor. Most of the makers here sell a full kit, which includes armor and helmet, or they sell just the lid separately. AM does sell a lite kit which means that it does not come with the helmet.

Answer to question 3. The bang for you buck would probably be ATA or AP. Right now, Mark (ABS80) is running a special on his AP lids with minor flaws. But, it is a personal preference of what you are wanting. Like the TE2 (bumpy cap and back) has all the original characteristics from the original HDPE helmet that it was molded off of. Some of the other ones like AP, and TM will have a smoother finish to them. Also, you have to consider what material you want the lid made from; HIPS or ABS.

Part 2 of question 3. If you are asking what the difference is in the look from an ANH, to the ESB to an ROTJ, then check out this link:http://www.starwarshelmets.com/original-stormtrooper-comparisons.htm It is a side by side comparison of the different versions of screen used lids.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Thanks for the answers so far!

I'd still love to hear from anyone that has any experience with the skullworks set, or any other mostly all-in-one package for helmet electronics.

Also, averaging most of the manufacturers and specifics (I'm not asking you to favor a manufacturer because I'm very aware that is frowned down upon), but what should be a minimum or average price range for a good helmet? I'm thinking ABS definitely, and maybe the ANH stunt helmet.

Edit: I was looking at the thread with the basic listing of manufacturers and I was wondering if being 5'12'' and ~190 pounds would necessitate going for one of the larger kits listed (AM, RT, TM). And if I decide to do that, does contacting the manufacturer simply consist of shooting them an email saying "hey I'd like a stormtrooper helmet" or what?

Edited by Axle Gatin

On 9/19/2010 at 11:21 PM, Axle Gatin said:

Thanks for the answers so far!

I'd still love to hear from anyone that has any experience with the skullworks set, or any other mostly all-in-one package for helmet electronics.

Also, averaging most of the manufacturers and specifics (I'm not asking you to favor a manufacturer because I'm very aware that is frowned down upon), but what should be a minimum or average price range for a good helmet? I'm thinking ABS definitely, and maybe the ANH stunt helmet.

Edit: I was looking at the thread with the basic listing of manufacturers and I was wondering if being 5'12'' and ~190 pounds would necessitate going for one of the larger kits listed (AM, RT, TM). And if I decide to do that, does contacting the manufacturer simply consist of shooting them an email saying "hey I'd like a stormtrooper helmet" or what?

I am not going to quote any prices on manufacturers. But, I don't think you could go wrong with a TM, AP,ATA, or TE2 when it comes to accurate ANH looking lids. It is kind of up to the individuals taste. Lid kits from the vendors here are going to be quality and worth their price. Just contact the vendors you are interested in (from the list) via either their email or PM them. You can determine which one hits your budget. Just one thing, stay away from Ebay, man. Remember the old saying, "you get what you pay for". Most armor and helmets on Ebay are going to be of lesser detail (recast) and of thinner material, which in the long run, means it will not stand up to trooping.

Being 6 feet and 190 pounds, you could possibly pull off some of the other suits like AP,TE2 or ATA. You might see a little bit more black gap between the armor but if you know how to adjust the suit to fit your build, you can kind of cover that.

As for the Skullworx, as I said I haven't messed with it. I think you would probably come closer to getting someone to answer the questions about the all-in-one electronic kits for helmets if you would start a new topic in the "Electronics for Helmets / Blasters" section. You could title it "what are some of the best all-in-one electronic kits for your TK lid"?

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed