New guy, needs advice

Gday Folks, im getting to a tricky part (for me) of my build

and would appreciate any input i can get to help in the decision making process.

Im building a new AM kit (sourced about a month ago)

all the easy stuff is done arms legs belt etc, and im assembling the "guts" of the armour

i have 3 questions about the picture below

001-7.thumb.jpg.86f98c7ffe2b564b0cd661fed0e8567a.jpg

Should i trim the butt plate where ive marked it with blue tape

Is the alignment with the ab plate and rear assembly correct, ie do the tops fit level at the top

And should i trim the plastic that runs under the crown jewels off, and replace with black webbing

My thanks in advance

Respect and Regards

Mike

Hi Mike, welcome to the FISD. How about posting an intro in the New Member Introductions section? :)

As for your questions:

1. No - unless it's really uncomfortable, and if you have the parts aligned correctly that shouldn't be a problem. Which leads me to . . .

2. The tops of the ab and kidney pieces do not align as you show in your photo. The butt plate and cod plate should be positioned such that the leg openings are cleanly aligned front and back. Basically, you need to shift the combined kidney/butt piece up by several inches relative to the ab/cod piece, all the way to where you have the corner taped off.

3. Personal choice, but I trimmed mine off. Having the full tab there irritated the hell out me as I tried to walk around during test-fittings. :blink: I used the joint where the flat part of the tab begins as my cut line, cut the whole thing off, and replaced with with black elastic. No more chafing, and a lot more accurate. :D

On 9/1/2010 at 6:49 AM, tkrestonva said:

Hi Mike, welcome to the FISD. How about posting an intro in the New Member Introductions section? :)

As for your questions:

1. No - unless it's really uncomfortable, and if you have the parts aligned correctly that shouldn't be a problem. Which leads me to . . .

2. The tops of the ab and kidney pieces do not align as you show in your photo. The butt plate and cod plate should be positioned such that the leg openings are cleanly aligned front and back. Basically, you need to shift the combined kidney/butt piece up by several inches relative to the ab/cod piece, all the way to where you have the corner taped off.

3. Personal choice, but I trimmed mine off. Having the full tab there irritated the hell out me as I tried to walk around during test-fittings. :blink: I used the joint where the flat part of the tab begins as my cut line, cut the whole thing off, and replaced with with black elastic. No more chafing, and a lot more accurate. :D

Thanks Brian,

The question of cutting the butt plate where ive marked it came up after seeing the photos in the link you sent me yesterday.

Im looking to get this set as screen accurate as possible.

Ill reposition the two halves as per your advice and post another pic soon

Cheers

Mike

:blush:

Looking at the screen-used pic, the TM armor build picture, my own collection of build photos from other kits, and the photos from my AM build & EIB submission threads, I now think you had it lined up correctly the first time. For me, it's easier to think about aligning the ab and kidney piece by ensuring the bottom of the kidney plate lines up with the top of the leg opening on the ab/cod piece - again, just like you originally had it. Do that, and the tops will naturally fall into place.

Thinking back on my AM build, I now remember initially trying it the way I originally suggested and wondering why the pieces didn't seem to fit properly - until I placed them as you did in your first photo. :0Lighten:

4766039095_71f9889498.jpg4795802440_800bfa3b8c.jpg

4851682593_5dffdf092f.jpg4851684915_30f0a861e8.jpg

As for the area you marked for trimming, I'd actually never noticed that small difference in the shape of the butt plate until now, but it is clearly there and an easy mod to do. I'll have to jot that down on my list of armor improvements.

Thank you for asking your questions and forcing me to go back and take a second look. Just goes to show - there's always more to understand. :salute:

• 2 weeks later...

Well im almost done, and i was lucky enough to source a black mannequin that stands on its own with the armour on (though im using some fishing gut to ensure it stays upright in its final display position)

I'd like to thank every one who helped me along the way, could not have done it without you (you all know who you are)

Sincere thanks

Mike

006-2.thumb.jpg.7ef7a895643dac6a4cfd447c9594a41f.jpg007-1.thumb.jpg.d0669276474d2e7164e26b8bd88f2552.jpg009-2.thumb.jpg.1f6eec80e8332a5580dd11ab9f17e31e.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/1/2010 at 12:00 PM, Aussie Mike said:

Thanks Brian

I appreciate the new input and pics, i hope my armour looks as good as yours when its done

I re fitted the parts again, and took another photo.

the most obvious thing is the mismatch of the crotch section

Is that normal ?

Im having the same issue.If I line it up this way the butt plate hangs below the crotch and off my butt. If I line the bottom up then the kidney plate is higher than the ab plate. Which is correct? I also have AM armor. Thanks for any help!