From RTMOD to AP...yikes

Hello troopers!

OK, so I've been trooping around in my RT-MOD suit and love every minute of it. My cousin, who is stationed in Iraq until Sept., bought an AP full kit. I have begun the process of trimming it. Lots to trim for those who don't know..

Viewing many threads here, I see everyone mostly used a modeling iron. What brand and where to buy? I just don't want to Easter egg it.

This will turn into a build thread as soon as she gets home. I just want to get the trimming out of the way for her...leaving some extra ABS for return edging, of course.

What you are looking for is a heat sealing iron. They are mainly used on RC airplanes for I don't even know what, but here is an example:

-----

I am currently building AP, and I think there is one very important thing to remember. The trim lines for AP are made with the idea of it still being a ROTJ mold (which it was) thus, it is shaped for overlapping. I truly believe the reason why people feel like they "have" to mold their AP into shape is because they are improperly assembling it. If you are gonna use butt joints and finishing strips, you have to cut down each edge of the shell's lip by half, then it fits properly again, but you get the butt joint. Sure not every edge will be perfect, but I think if trimmed correctly, AP needs very little molding.

You may even know this already, so I will shut up if that is so, but this is a very important lesson I learned early on with my kit (which I am loving more and more as each piece is finished).

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

On 8/14/2010 at 1:58 PM, snoberg said:

What you are looking for is a heat sealing iron. They are mainly used on RC airplanes for I don't even know what, but here is an example:

-----

I am currently building AP, and I think there is one very important thing to remember. The trim lines for AP are made with the idea of it still being a ROTJ mold (which it was) thus, it is shaped for overlapping. I truly believe the reason why people feel like they "have" to mold their AP into shape is because they are improperly assembling it. If you are gonna use butt joints and finishing strips, you have to cut down each edge of the shell's lip by half, then it fits properly again, but you get the butt joint. Sure not every edge will be perfect, but I think if trimmed correctly, AP needs very little molding.

You may even know this already, so I will shut up if that is so, but this is a very important lesson I learned early on with my kit (which I am loving more and more as each piece is finished).

Thanks Sean! You are a life saver. I'm not too familiar with AP so your tips are definately appreciated!!

Yes, we are going to use butt joints with finishing strips ala ANH. I will pick up an iron and continue taking tips from you AP guys!

My RT-MOD came pre trimmed. All I had to do was slap it together. AP will be a fun experience! I love building...Now, what kit to buy next....What?...did someone say TM? I'd like an ESB suit next!!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020