Repairing Snaps

Hi guys,

I've been thinking about this for awhile ever since our GML mentioned it to me when we first/last met.

What can you/I/we do to repair a snap on a snap plate that's become too loose over time that is plastic welded/e6000'd on a piece of armor. How do you remove the snap plate from the armor since it's already pretty much welded on to it? Is it possible or will it just end up breaking the armor?

I haven't had this happen as I only use gaffers tape for accuracy reasons (joking) but can you carefully Dremel sand off the welded piece of plastic?

You will probably have a "bump" on the inside, but that's better than a hole on the outside.

I've used a flat chisel / Dremel cut off wheel and use it to grind / cut along the seam to break the bond (make sure to put most of the "damage" on the snap plate - not the armor), then carefully pry it off. Sand the area down, make a new snap plate, re-glue it into place.

Not sure about plastic weld, but if it's just E6000'd on, you can gently pry it off with a putty knife. Work slowly around all the edges and move your way in. I've pried snap tabs and even finishing strips off of armor that had parts held on with E6000 with no side effects.

Edited by Madmartigan