HIPS tear repair?

I'm sure this has been covered ad-nauseum here but... what is the suggested repair method for crack repair in armor made of styrene?

E6000 on the inside with some scrap plastic reincforcement, then plastic weld/superglue on the outside sanded down?

If you could point me to an old thread the mods are more than welcome to delete this thread. I'm sure there are 20 of them. I just couldn't find em!

Edited by Darth-Felth

An old piece (slightly bigger than the crack) of a white t-shirt soaked in slow setting CA glue like this works wonders, too.

-----

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

So if I try the E6000 on the inside, theres nothing on the outside?

Sorry it took me so long to reply to this...

Yes, E-6000 on the inside with the fabric, whatever... and nothing on the outside. :)

Sorry it took me so long to reply to this...

Yes, E-6000 on the inside with the fabric, whatever... and nothing on the outside. :)

HA! It was only 30 minutes! I'd say a very fast respond! :)

So I failed to mention that the pieces with tears in them are NOT painted yet... thus my wondering what could go on the OUTside of the crack. I figured that CA glue then lightly sanded on the outside would be a possible good coverup.

No?

Just the inside still?

HA! It was only 30 minutes! I'd say a very fast respond! :)

I know... I like saying that when I'm fast. B)

Anyway... yes, CA on the outside then for sure. If not even some MMD Putty or some such. But for sure something.

Didn't know (catch/remember) it was unpainted.

Since it's styrene, you can also apply some Plastic Weld glue to the crack to seal it. Then patch it from behind as described above. Then sand the front with progressively smoother sandpaper, then wet sand, then polish it. You won't even know the crack was there.

If you're going to paint it or the kit was already painted, just sand and top coat it.