Modified M38A2

Hey folks,

I mentioned in another thread that I'd post this.

I bought an M38A2 for a good price and decided to modify it for use on an E-11. I used epoxy putty to reshape the center section.

Below are pics of the M38A2 after modification:

DSC00148-s.jpg

DSC00149-s.jpg

What kind of paint/texture paint and which color and gloss people usually use to bring out that metal texture or metal look in E-11s?

Edited by puro

About how hard was that?

Not very hard really. The main shaping was done with 5 minute epoxy putty, but you could do it with Bondo if you preferred that. Let it cure and file and sand. I like the control I got with the putty. The little bit on the side was the hardest, and it didn't come out as cleanly as I would have liked.... next time will be better. I filed the "7" out of a small scrap pice of brass, and the screw heads came off of some screws from an old pair of sun glasses.

Paint was Krylon "flat black" which isn't all that flat! It matched the sheen of the original paint well.

These M38A2's show up fairly cheaply now and again, so I may try modding a few more.

What kind of paint/texture paint and which color and gloss people usually use to bring out that metal texture or metal look in E-11s?

The base item is the brass M38A2, which is NOT very smooth. When I finished the part in the middle (the part with the epoxy putty) I was simply careful to avoid sanding it too smooth (I stopped at 400 grit). I masked the optics and then primered the whole thing with cheap primer, I simply didn't wet-sand the primer like you would for a smooth finish... I left it kinda roungh and then hit it with the black paint. The result was a consistent finish over the whole piece. Kepe in mind that the paint takes longer to dry with this kind of finish... I let it dry almost 24 hours.

I probably won't weather this one as my current build is for a pristine "as new" E-11 (I will use it with my General Veers/armoured officer/AT-AT Commander uniform)