Helmet Painting Questions

Good day to everyone,

I have a couple of questions generally regarding getting a bucket painted. I'm ordering my kit soon and I'd like to have everything else prepped before it arrives.

What kind of white paint would I need to use for the helmet? Our local ACE doesn't have either Rustoleum or Krylon paints in their inventory (the only brands they carry are Nippon, Pylox, & Bosny) so I'd like to know what kind of paint I should be looking for since I can't look for specific brands.

My next question is if Tamiya paints would be suitable for the helmet details (ears, cheeks, frown, chin, mic tips, tears/ducts, etc)? I'm trying to look for Humbrol or Testors but our local hobby shops hardly carry any in stock.

Lastly, about the tube stripes, does any one have the measurements or a template for them? I might either paint them or print out stickers myself but have no idea of the measurements. Is this freely shared information?

Thanks guys. All this preparing and waiting are both exciting and depressing. Can't wait to order and start on my kit.

I asked for templates for the tube stripes at one point too and never found them. So if they're out there I, personally, don't know where.

As for the paint, I'd say order it online if you can to get the right kind.

If you can't do that, buy a couple of different brands and test them on scrap plastic and see which does better.

Possibly someone else here knows of a good paint out of those options.

I'd say any would work well if... 1) it's high-gloss white 2) you read the directions 3) you follow the directions 4) you practice first. B)

Personally, I prefer lacquer based paints like you mentioned from Krylon , Rustoleum, etc. I don't like using enamels as they take much longer to dry and have a higher tendency to run.

For pretty much anything you are painting, always scuff the surface, sand it, clean it (detergent / rinse with water / hang dry - don't use a towel as lint will stick to it). Then you can primer it, then paint it. Always go with several light coats, as opposed to 2 heavy ones.

Some people like to paint primer first (it helps the paint stick) and some like to use paints designed for plastic (eg: Krylon Fusion). Depends on your intended use.

I find Tamiya paints too thin and not enough pigment, you'll need multiple coats to get the same coverage for small details compared to Testors. I actually prefer Testors over Humbrol as they dry faster and are more opaque than Humbrol. I found out from a local supplier that Humbrol changed their compounds in their paint, thats whay they are more thin than before.

I'm actually working on a tube stripe template I'm willing to share / post on the FISD Academy site. Stay tuned. :)

On 6/3/2010 at 3:03 PM, Midnyt17 said:

Good day to everyone,

I have a couple of questions generally regarding getting a bucket painted. I'm ordering my kit soon and I'd like to have everything else prepped before it arrives.

What kind of white paint would I need to use for the helmet? Our local ACE doesn't have either Rustoleum or Krylon paints in their inventory (the only brands they carry are Nippon, Pylox, & Bosny) so I'd like to know what kind of paint I should be looking for since I can't look for specific brands.

My next question is if Tamiya paints would be suitable for the helmet details (ears, cheeks, frown, chin, mic tips, tears/ducts, etc)? I'm trying to look for Humbrol or Testors but our local hobby shops hardly carry any in stock.

Lastly, about the tube stripes, does any one have the measurements or a template for them? I might either paint them or print out stickers myself but have no idea of the measurements. Is this freely shared information?

Thanks guys. All this preparing and waiting are both exciting and depressing. Can't wait to order and start on my kit.

Hello,

Here is the Humbrol Paint conversion chart from their website.

-----

Andy

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Thanks for the info guys. I honestly had no idea of the difference between Enamel and Lacquer paints.

I went to ACE earlier and they have ACE brand Appliance Epoxy and was wondering if anyone has tried using it? I saw the "2 different spray paints" post and wondered if ACE brand Appliance Epoxy would end up looking like the Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy. I am worried though that the color might be a mismatch since I'm planning on getting an AM kit after I finish my lid.

By the way, is it alright to mix different brand primer and paint? Nippon Pylox has white Aerosol Lacquer paint but they don't have a primer available so I'm going to have to use a primer from a different brand.

As for the helmet details, I'm going to visit some hobby shops this weekend and see if I can find better paints than the Tamiya paints for the helmet details. I hope I can find Humbrol or Testors even in small bottles.

@pandatrooper

Looking forward to those templates. I'm sure a lot of people, like me, are going to benefit from it.

On 6/4/2010 at 9:05 PM, Midnyt17 said:

Thanks for the info guys. I honestly had no idea of the difference between Enamel and Lacquer paints.

I went to ACE earlier and they have ACE brand Appliance Epoxy and was wondering if anyone has tried using it? I saw the "2 different spray paints" post and wondered if ACE brand Appliance Epoxy would end up looking like the Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy. I am worried though that the color might be a mismatch since I'm planning on getting an AM kit after I finish my lid.

By the way, is it alright to mix different brand primer and paint? Nippon Pylox has white Aerosol Lacquer paint but they don't have a primer available so I'm going to have to use a primer from a different brand.

As for the helmet details, I'm going to visit some hobby shops this weekend and see if I can find better paints than the Tamiya paints for the helmet details. I hope I can find Humbrol or Testors even in small bottles.

@pandatrooper

Looking forward to those templates. I'm sure a lot of people, like me, are going to benefit from it.

Try these sites. They can ship them to you.

Andy

-----

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Personally, I prefer lacquer based paints like you mentioned from Krylon , Rustoleum, etc. I don't like using enamels as they take much longer to dry and have a higher tendency to run.

For pretty much anything you are painting, always scuff the surface, sand it, clean it (detergent / rinse with water / hang dry - don't use a towel as lint will stick to it). Then you can primer it, then paint it. Always go with several light coats, as opposed to 2 heavy ones.

Some people like to paint primer first (it helps the paint stick) and some like to use paints designed for plastic (eg: Krylon Fusion). Depends on your intended use.

I find Tamiya paints too thin and not enough pigment, you'll need multiple coats to get the same coverage for small details compared to Testors. I actually prefer Testors over Humbrol as they dry faster and are more opaque than Humbrol. I found out from a local supplier that Humbrol changed their compounds in their paint, thats whay they are more thin than before.

I'm actually working on a tube stripe template I'm willing to share / post on the FISD Academy site. Stay tuned. :)

Terry I am working on a template for my Helmet tube stripes myself. I went to Wallmart and bought a stencil paper. I am tracing the lines on it and using a ceramnic cutter to cut out the lines. I think that a "Tube Stripe" stencil is an EXCELLENT idea.

Andy