Imperial Commando

First thing I thought of when I read "Imperial Commando" was the unit from the Star Wars Supremacy game ("Rebellion in the US I think). Different to what you guys are talking about, but still pretty cool :)

Yup. Precision of language is everything. Imperial Commandos are the next stage of evolution from Republic Commandos, and later evolved further into the Storm Commandos. Properly, the terms should not be used interchangably between the different costumes (just as the Shadow Scout is not a Storm Commando and vice versa).

If the cover's anything to go by, in the Imperial Commando novel, Darman and Niner are wearing this:

501st_bg.jpg

My personal take on the guys shown in this thread is that they're where the armour was at a decade and a half later -- just as the Stormtroopers in The Force Unleashed had helmets transitional between Phase II Clonetroopers and the Stormtroopers we all know and love from the Original Trilogy.

And, if any weight can still be granted the EU, sometime after Episode IV, (pre-defection) Crix Madine developed them further into the Storm Commandos you referenced above.

--Jonah

when reading imperial commandoes they refer to them as standard stormtroopers but with black armour very similar i believe to the stealth/blackhole troopers

but personally i think they should be weatherd and properly kitted out but the crl's say clean and shiny with just an e11/dlt19.

but thats boring and the only reason i dont have a black set of armour to go with the tk and tkc

Swell... Guess I'll have to go back and re-read, but that would be one more area where Karen's take clashes with already-established canon (not counting the forced retcons that have happened more recently). At this point, Imperial Stormtroopers are still wearing either the Phase II kit or the so-called "Phase III" gear we see in the early Kashyyyk scenes of TFU. And, as closely as she worked with the RepCom game people to get the look right in her earlier books, I find it odd that her description would clash so wildly with what's on the cover.

So, I believe you, but you'll forgive me if I hold off until I've re-verified this myself...? :)

--Jonah

Swell... Guess I'll have to go back and re-read, but that would be one more area where Karen's take clashes with already-established canon (not counting the forced retcons that have happened more recently). At this point, Imperial Stormtroopers are still wearing either the Phase II kit or the so-called "Phase III" gear we see in the early Kashyyyk scenes of TFU. And, as closely as she worked with the RepCom game people to get the look right in her earlier books, I find it odd that her description would clash so wildly with what's on the cover.

So, I believe you, but you'll forgive me if I hold off until I've re-verified this myself...? :)

--Jonah

i agree that the cover wildly mis represents what is described in the book

Having just re-read the book, the only description I can find is on pages 15-16:

"[...] dark charcoal gray and black. The color was much like their old matte-black Katarn pattern plates, but there the similarity ended; everything about the shape, from helmet to chest plate to greaves, was just that bit different."

I am tracking down the cover artist to ask what his guidance/directive was. I also have an e-mail out to Karen to ask what she was going from/envisioned. From the description of the colours, it sounds like the scheme of the Clone Shadow Troopers.

In the book, the (surviving, non-deserter) ARC Troopers, Republic Commandos, and regular troops with spec-ops aptitude were organized into the spec-ops arm of the 501st. Makes me wonder what the rest of the newly-christened Imperial Stormtrooper Corps did for spec-ops -- if anything -- if Vader's legion got all of the commando-trained troopers...

From the wording -- "just that bit different" -- it seems to me that it's close to what the previous RC armour was, and not what the later Storm Commando armour would be, which is quite different. And "just that bit different" is what I see on the cover (minus the colouring issues), So... *shrug*

--Jonah

• 5 weeks later...