AP kit question

Do you guys find the AP kit to be a bit small? I'm not over weight, I just have bigger arms, etc. But I can't fit my forearms or bicep armor on. And at this rate, I doubt my calves will even fit. Looks like this will be a display only deal for me. Kind of disappointing. :(

I don't have an AP kit, but I do have a TE2 and I also have big biceps.

You just have to shim those bad boys!

And then, luckily, we have the "cover strips" to cover the shim up with.

I literally rivet mine together and then cover them with a strip.

Here's the inside of one of mine...-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

I have an AP and it is a close match to that of an original (said that as politically correct as possible to avoid backlash ;) The actors were generally 5 '10 and 150-175 pounds and built like lacrosse players

I'm 5,11" about 205 and built like a linebacker. So this is what I did:

- Cut extra and didn't generally follow the cut lines (apparently AP cast from an ROTJ suit which was designed to overlap, not buttseam like ANH)

- Increased the size of the finishing strips to 20mm for the arms and 30mm for the legs

- definitely had to shim the biceps and thighs, the biceps I shimmed at the back which allowed for a much cleaner finish on the front (you can really see the back biceps anyways

- Monster of a shim job on the thighs cuz of my tree trunk legs - about 28" around. For this I had to buy extra ABS

Even with the mods tho, I think it turned out great, now that I'm out trooping and seeing up close and personal some of the other kits out there, I just love the AP. It would be a shame if you didn't troop in it.

Even with the mods tho, I think it turned out great, now that I'm out trooping and seeing up close and personal some of the other kits out there, I just love the AP. It would be a shame if you didn't troop in it.

I know, I was REALLY looking forward to putting it on! :( But I've already cut and now glued the arm pieces together.

And I'm a bit of a stickler for screen accuracy... I think the look of the shims would bother me. Do you have any photos?

Edited by TK 4702

Look how they look closed off with the finishing strip on. You can hardly tell it's shimmed...------

Is this the part you're talking about?

Edited by gmrhodes13

I about 80% done with my AP, and yes, I find that generally it's a pretty tight fit. I'm 6'1" about 190, and so far I haven't come across anything that can't be fixed with a bit of adjustment here and there. The best advice is to leave extra when trimming, and test fit EVERYTHINg before you do the final triming and gluing. I've been through a couple rolls of blue painters tape so far and I'm still not done. Also, any "tweaking" you have to do, try to do it at the back of the pieces so it's not as obvious.

Good luck!

You can see pics of my test fit on my build thread here:---------

I've made some changes since then, mainly just tightening things up, straightening and centering the chest and back and I've also enlarged the biceps since then because they were tight and chaffing my inner elbow when I would bend my arms. I'm ready for my EIB application but have been so busy trooping I haven't had time to take the pics, lol.

Did you glue them together with E6000? If so you can pull it off (carefully) to make a bigger gap, that's what I did. Just make sure you clean up the excess old glue before you reattach.

My chest is a 44 btw and I am working on closing the gap between the shoulder bells and chest piece, just working on a better system.

LMK if you need more info, or more up close and personal pieces of specific parts, I can take some pics on the weekend.

Edited by gmrhodes13