Rustoleum Helmet Interior

Hi all,

Quick question - I picked up a bottle of Rustoleum Leak Seal a week ago to line the interior of my ATA helmet.  Application went fine - overspray came right off with some mineral spirits.

The issue now though is that it's been a week and the fumes are still pretty strong when you put on the helmet...that won't do for trooping.

I was wondering if anyone else has used this, and if so, how long it took for the fumes to dissipate. I'm thinking I may coat over the Rustoleum with Plasti-Dip as people have had generally good experiences with that as a liner, and hopefully it would seal in the fumes.

Thoughts?  Should I be more patient?

I still have to build armor, so if I need to let the helmet sit for a month to air out I can go focus on other things.

Thanks for your advice!

For a couple of dollars you could try setting the helmet over one of these for a couple of days. It might pull the vapor smell out..

----------

I have never tried it so im just taking a shot in the dark.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I have used Plasti-dip on the inside of a helmet which has an equally strong odor, but it went away after it fully cured. That took about 4 days but it did go away. I would think this would react the same.

Thanks guys.  I've had my bucket mounted to a fan for the past several days and it's still as strong as ever...I'm tempted to sand out the interior and re-spray with Plasti-Dip, since everyone seems to love it.

If anyone else is looking at Rustoleum Leak Seal for something like this though, I'd avoid it!

• 2 weeks later...